What can students do to support the academic honor code?
- Ask your instructors about the academic honor code on the first day of every class.
- When in doubt, ask your instructors about the academic honor code in conjunction with every assignment that is questionable.
- Demand clear explanations of plagiarism, proper citation, and appropriate collaboration.
- Attend public events held by the Academic Honor Council, and encourage your peers to attend
- When you are found in violation of the Academic Honor Code, follow the procedures (see Reporting Academic Dishonesty).
- Model appropriate behaviors.
- Cite sources in your papers.
- Don't copy from another student, no matter how tempted you are. It is not worth the risk, you can receive an XF grade, even if you've completed an entire semester!
- Do not tolerate cheating among your peers. It not only isn't fair to you, but it devalues your SMC diploma.
- Demonstrate a commitment to integrity.
How can I join the AHC?
- Applications for the 2013-2014 AHC are now available in FAH 250. Submission deadline is March 15, 2013 and interviews take place April 8- 12, 2013.