Saint Mary's offers need and merit-based scholarships, renewable for up to four years. Scholarships are available to all first-year, transfer and international students.
To renew a scholarship you must maintain satisfactory academic progress.
Need Based Aid
Saint Mary's College General Scholarships: $1,000-$28,000 annually.
These need-based grants depend on student demonstrated financial need as determined by the FAFSA. Other endowed scholarships have additional criteria, such as geographic qualifications or ethnic heritage (e.g., Joseph David Cardoza scholarship for students of Portuguese descent).(back to top)
Presidential Scholarship: $24,000 annually
Honors at Entrance Scholarship: $18,000 annually
Febres Cordero Scholarship: $18,000 annually
Gael Scholar’s Award: $14,000 annually
Leclercq Scholarship: $14,000 annually
Merit scholarships are awarded to first-time freshmen based on academic achievement, including GPA, test results, and rigor of curriculum. These awards are renewable for an additional three years of continuous full-time study and contingent upon satisfactory academic progress. Students do not need to apply separately for merit scholarships; consideration is automatic with a complete application to the college.
For first-year applicants from Lasallian high schools with an academic GPA of 3.5. Recipients are also eligible to be considered for other merit scholarships.(back to top)
Transfer Merit Scholarships
Transfer Honors at Entrance Scholarships: $14,000 annually
Effective for the spring of 2014, transfer students entering with 30 or more transfer academic semester units or the equivalent and a 3.5 college GPA at the time of acceptance will receive this award, which is renewable annually given satisfactory academic progress. Students do not need to apply separately for the award; consideration is automatic upon application to the college.
Local Colleges Partnership Awards: $2,000
Entering transfer students from Diablo Valley, Las Positas, and Los Medanos colleges will receive a $2,000 scholarship.(back to top)
Selected Departmental Scholarships
Saint Mary’s offers scholarship opportunities for students who are interested in majoring in the following subjects:
- Art Practice (Video Arts)
- Business Administration
- Performing Arts (Music, Dance, Theatre or Technical Theatre)
- Theology and Religious Studies.
Students may only compete for one Departmental Scholarship.
Awards are worth $13,000 per year awarded to entering first time freshman for each of four years of consecutive full-time study.
Applicants must submit all application materials (Common Application, high school transcript, a letter of recommendation, ACT or SAT scores on or before the application deadline of January 15.
See below to find which scholarships require a separate application. These application materials must be submitted via email to firstname.lastname@example.org on or before noon, Jan. 15, 2015.
Invited applicants must interview or compete on campus on February 21, 2015 with faculty from their department of interest. (Overnight accommodations may be available on Friday, February 20 provided two weeks’ notice is provided.) The college may be able to assist in travel costs to students outside of Northern California; inquire at email@example.com for more information.
Brother Cornelius Video Arts Scholarship (Art and Art History Department)
- An essay (<500 words), describing the applicant’s interest and qualifications for the scholarship
- Two letters of recommendation from teachers and/or others addressing the applicant’s qualifications
- A DVD or online portfolio of original work (video as well as artwork of other digital or traditional mediums
- A list of software skills
- A list of any relevant video media art projects including titles, duration's, and synopses.
The recipient must major in Art Practice and is expected to annually contribute in several capacities to the Art & Art History Department. Such contributions may include working closely with a faculty member as a production or research assistant on a video or media arts project, coordinating screenings of student video work, leading the department’s art club.
Brother Dominic Barry Mathematics Scholarships
Saint Mary's College Department of Mathematics and Computer Science invites applications for the Brother Dominic Barry Mathematics scholarships. Each scholarship is awarded in the amount of $13,000 annually and is renewable for four years. The scholarships will be awarded to the two highest scorers on the Math Problem Solving Competition to take place on the afternoon of Saturday, February 21, 2015.
Students interested in participating in the Scholarship competition must sign up before February 14, 2015.
Students who take part in the scholarship competition must have complete applications and will have their application fees waived.
English Department Scholarship
- Two letters of recommendation, one to be written by the applicant’s junior or senior year high school English teacher.
- Two essays. One explain (<750 words) why the applicant wishes to major in English; the second (1000-1750 words) analyzing a literary text. Applicants may also include an example of their creative writing.Expectations:
The recipient must major in English, and contribute to English Department activities. Such contributions might include assisting with the department website, working on the literary magazine, or helping to organize English Club events.
Integral Program Scholarship
- Two letters of recommendation from individuals testifying to the applicant’s interest in the Integral Program
- A portfolio illustrating a commitment to inquiry based on the reading and discussion of primary texts. Applicants are invited to be inventive in constructing their portfolios.
Expectations: The recipient must be an Integral major, and contribute actively to the department’s work. Such contributions might include assisting with the department website, assisting with student recruitment, and organizing departmental events.
The Louis LeFevre Scholarship for History Majors
- A list of history classes taken in high school including the titles of texts read in each class
- Essay: 500 words addressing why you want to study history
- Essay: 250 words describing your leadership ability experience
- Two letters of recommendations from teachers with one from a history teacherExpectations:
Performing Arts Scholarships
Saint Mary’s College offers $13,000 tuition-remission scholarships in music, dance and theater to incoming freshmen. Awards are renewable for four years, and are merit-based for demonstrated artistic excellence. Auditions for the upcoming terms can be found at the performing arts department website. Contact the Director of your program of interest for more information.
Information Coming Soon
- A letter of recommendation from an individual testifying to the applicant’s interest in politics
- A personal essay (<750 words) addressing the applicant’s interest in politics and providing evidence in the form of personal experience, study, service, or career expectations
The recipient must major in politics and contribute actively to the Department’s work. Such contributions might include assisting faculty research and teaching activities and organizing department events.
Theology and Religious Studies Scholarship
- A personal essay of <1000 words addressing the following:
- Why are you interested in pursuing the academic study of theology and/or religion and related topics that most interest you
- Providing evidence of such interest in the form of personal experience, study, service, or career expectations.
- Describing why Saint Mary’s College would be a good place to pursue the study of theology and/or religion.
- Two letters of recommendation addressing your intellectual interests in studying theology and/or religion: at least one from an academic professional (e.g. teacher or guidance counselor)
The recipient must major in Theology & Religious Studies and contribute actively to the Theology & Religious Studies department’s work. Such contributions might include organizing events for students or the larger community, engaging in research with the faculty, leading study groups, and/or assisting with the department’s website.
Wilder Business Scholarship (Accounting and Business)
The School of Economics and Business Administration encourages students to “Think Globally, Lead Responsibly”. In that spirit, we offer a $13,000 per year scholarship to one highly qualified first-year student. To be eligible, students must major in Business Administration or Accounting and interview on campus during Scholarship Saturday (February 21, 2015). Students can self-nominate by filling out the self-nomination form and applying to the college before the January 15th deadline. Selected students will be invited to campus to interview during Scholarship Saturday on February 21. Not all students who self-nominate will be selected to interview. Questions can be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Mentored Access to Programs in Science Scholarship (MAPS)
Saint Mary's MAPS Scholarship program offers full tuition for four years of consecutive full-time study. If selected to interview, students can compete for a MAPS scholarship and a Math or Physics scholarship on February 21, but they must choose between Math and Physics. Additionally, if a student receives a MAPS scholarship they are not eligible to receive a Math or Physics scholarship as well, as MAPS covers full tuition, but if they interview for and are not selected for a MAPS scholarship, they may receive a Math or Physics scholarship
- Must major in Math, Physics, Chemistry or Biochemistry (Biology and 3+2 Engineering students are not eligible for a MAPS scholarship)
- Must have at least finished Pre-Calculus
- Show demonstrated need via FASFA
- Competitive applicants will have a 3.5 ( Weighted) GPA or higher
Macken Collegiate Forensics Scholarship: $300-$13,000 annually
Students are selected to receive scholarships based on their level of commitment to the Macken team, their competitive potential and contributions, and their academic standing.
Click here for application materials.(back to top)
Private organizations and corporations offer a variety of scholarships, which can be used to fund your education at Saint Mary's. See Private Scholarships and Scholarship Websites That Work for more information.(back to top)
Continuing Student Scholarships:
Jan Term Travel Scholarship
Scholarship assistance is available for students who would otherwise be unable to afford a January Term travel course. The 2014 Jan Term Travel Scholarship Application is due September 16th by 4:30pm to the Financial Aid Office. No late exceptions.
Study Abroad Scholarships
Students may receive scholarships to study abroad in a NON SMC program. One common scholarship is the Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship.