Before you consider transferring to Saint Mary's, take a look at our minimum requirements for admission and the materials you'll need to complete an application.
Minimum Requirements for Admission
- Minimum of 23 transferable academic semester units or 34 transferable academic quarter units
- Minimum grade point average of 2.3 or higher (typically students who possess a 2.5 or higher GPA are more viable candidates for admission)
- Two years of high school algebra (Algebra I and Algebra II)
- One year of high school geometry or equivalent with a grade C or better
Please review our Articulation Agreement page for a list of transferable courses and agreements made with local community colleges. Credit is not given for courses in which grades of D+ or below are received, although the grades are calculated into the grade point average. A maximum of 19 lower division course credits are transferable to Saint Mary's (approximately 64 semester units or 95 quarter units).
Required Application Materials
Transfer applicants are required to submit the following: (Effective July 16, 2012 the online Common Application will be down for two weeks. In the interim, we encourage you to download and submit a paper application)
- A completed Common Application and Saint Mary's Supplement
- Essay - Personal Statement
- Final high school transcripts or the results of a high school graduation equivalency exam
- Official transcripts of all college work. Official transcripts must be submitted for all colleges or universities attended whether the student completed the term(s) or not
- A letter of recommendation is highly encouraged, but not required
- $55 USD application fee
Submission of Materials
While we prefer that you submit all application materials online through the Common Application, printed documents can be sent to:
Saint Mary's College of California
Office of Admissions
P.O. Box 4800
Moraga, CA 94575-4800
Letters of recommendation may be sent separately or included with other materials. The Admissions Committee will not make a final decision on your application until all application materials are received.
The essay or personal statement is a tool that allows for a comprehensive narrative from the applicant to the Admissions Committee. Candidates for admissions may choose one of the prompts provided on the Common Application or write on a topic of their choice. Recommended length of the essay is 1-3 pages.
The fee for application is $55 USD. This may be paid directly on the Common Application by credit card or by sending a check to the Office of Admissions made out to Saint Mary’s College.