Upon successfully completing the program of study with an art theory and criticism emphasis, students should be able to...
- Conduct an extended, rigorous written analysis of artworks by drawing upon concepts from established critical theoretical texts;
- Articulate the theoretical assumptions driving specific interpretations of artworks by availing a knowledge base of art theory and criticism;
- Pose and investigate theoretical questions about the nature and function of art by utilizing specific artworks as reference points;
- Demonstrate a foundational knowledge of facts and accepted art historical and critical terminology in writing and discussion;
- Contextualize established and contemporary artworks within a broader cultural, historical, and political framework;
- Produce a work of art or curate an exhibition informed by an art-theoretical concept.