Associate Professor Myrna Santiago’s book, The Ecology of Oil: Environment, Labor, and the Mexican Revolution, 1900–1938 won the Latin American Studies Association’s 2007 Bryce Wood Award for the best book on Spanish and Latin American history
On the Sept. 21 U.N. International Day of Peace, an 8-foot aluminum peace pole was dedicated outside Ferroggiaro Hall. The pole features the message “May Peace Prevail on Earth” inscribed in Arabic, Chinese, English, French, Russian, Spanish, Swahili and Thai. It is one of 250,000 peace poles in 190 countries.
In August, the College introduced the Mission and Ministry Center to foster the Catholic Lasallian heritage and mission on campus. The office, led by Brother Michael Sanderl, dean for mission and ministry, is in the arcade next to the Chapel.
The St. Giles Episcopal community celebrated its 25th anniversary at Saint Mary’s Chapel on Oct. 21. Along with holding Sunday services at 9 a.m., the community has collaborated with Campus Ministry on Ash Wednesday services and special liturgies.
At a Sept. 28 ceremony, Collegiate Seminar unveiled the Brother DeSales Perez Seminar Room. The late Brother DeSales taught Spanish at the College for four decades and directed Collegiate Seminar for 17 years. The room, Dante 203, was refurbished with a custom-designed table, 22 white oak chairs and paintings of scenes from Don Quixote.
The Liberal Education for Arts Professionals (LEAP) Program held its first classes in New York on Oct. 7 at Manhattan College. The 22-student New York cohort includes dancers from the New York City Ballet, the American Ballet Theatre and the Dance Theatre of Harlem.