June 14-15, 2014 - Community Engagement at Lasallian Institutions: A Pre-Conference to the 8th Annual Social Justice Institute
Join fellow faculty members, mission and ministry colleagues, and service-learning professionals from Lasallian institutions in the United States for networking and professional development about strengthening community engagement. The event also serves as a renewal to our Lasallian vocations and commitments to teaching, learning, and social justice. During networking and facilitated sessions, participants will explore the best practices such as:
- Organizing and funding community engagement
- Faculty development for high-quality service-learning and community-based research
- Strengthening co-curricular leadership and social justice initiatives
- Campus and community collaborations
- Facilitating critical reflection
- Scholarly contributions within the Lasallian community and beyond
Registration & Costs
The program is ideally designed for each campus to send a team of 2-3 people to maximize collective learning, strategic planning, and the development of a multi-faceted approach to community engagement across campus. We anticipate approximately 25 total people from the six Lasallian institutions to participate. Each campus will underwrite the travel and lodging costs of their participants and pay $200 per person to defray the costs of food and materials. This fee includes registration for the Social Justice Institute (June 16-17, 2014). Lodging is at the Lafayette Park Hotel (near campus).
- Each person on your team should register individually.
- Contact the Lafayette Park Hotel directly for room reservations; ask for the Saint Mary's College rate.
- For your airport choices, please know that Saint Mary's College is approximately 40 minutes from OAK and 45-60 minutes from SFO.
- Please make payment payable to "Saint Mary's College of California" and mail to Jennifer Pigza, CILSA, PO Box 4595, Moraga, CA 94575.
Contact & Event Sponsors
This event is coordinated by the Catholic Institute for Lasallian Social Action (CILSA) with support from the Office of the Vice-President for Mission and the San Francisco District Office of Education. Please contact Jennifer M. Pigza, Ph.D., Chair of the MA in Leadership for Social Justice and Associate Director of CILSA, at 925-631-4755 or email@example.com, with questions and to register.