Participants will learn about the history, culture, politics and development of Guatemala. In August 2014, we will do this through pre-trip readings and a 1-week immersion in the life and culture of Guatemala. We will have conversations with a wide range of people that will help us to understand Guatemala.
At the end of this program, participants will be able to
- Be conversant with concern to the history, culture, politics and development of Guatemala
- Investigate possible intersections between sustainable development and their own conceptions of working toward the common good
- Examine their relationships with and to citizens of developing countries
- Apply their knowledge of development and human rights to the case study of Guatemala
- Understand CILSA's role within the mission of Saint Mary's College of California
as well as excerpts from The Guatemala Reader, History, Culture, Politics. (excerpts will be provided)