Application Deadline is this Friday, February 22, 2013!
Learn to live and think GLOBALLY!
This unique residence hall community located in the first floor of North Claeys Hall is for both international and domestic students who strive to become global citizens. Our mission is to provide a living-learning community that fosters a friendly environment where cultural diversity and respect for differences is encouraged and valued. It also offers a supportive experience in international living and learning that promotes academic excellence, personal growth, cultural awareness, cross-cultural understanding, and shared ideas of faith and justice. The International House, a Global Living and Learning Community, serves to orient international students and prepare domestic students for future study abroad opportunities.
The International House is only open to Sophomores and the I-House will:
- Create a community where students can enrich their understanding of other cultures, explore the world, and share their own cultural heritage
- Enhance the impact of study/volunteer abroad experiences on participants and the Saint Mary's College community by providing a structured outlet for returnees to reflect on and integrate their learning into their own education and the campus community.
Students in the community will have regular events that will explore culture, the world, and sustainability through food (cooking and dining out), international movies, afternoon or weekend cultural excursions, and other activities. We will also be teaming-up with various departments and clubs for some events.
2013 - 2014 Pilot Year Participant Requirements
- Students will be required to attend at least 3 speaker series related international topics and complete a written assignment for each session.
- Students will be required to participate in events and activities throughout the year such as the Annual Global Fair, International Retreat, and other activities sponsored by the community, I-Club (Optional), and Center for International Program Office (Optional).
- Students will be required to join the International Club. Attendance will not be mandatory but as the I-Club will compliment the I-House, involvement and participation will be strongly encouraged.
- I-House is a student driven community. Thus, students will be required to actively be involved in brainstorming, planning and delivery of events and activities.
- Write a self-reflection written assignment at the end of each term describing your experience and what you've learned through the community.
- Complete an exit survey at the end of the year.
1. Priority Housing - Application deadline is Friday, February 22, 2013 at 5:30 pm.
2. Guarantee Housing - North Claeys Hall (1st floor), Single and Double rooms are available in a six person suite style living arrangement.
3. Roommate & Suitemate Preference - You will be able to select your roommate (Double) and suitemates (Six people in a suite)
4. Location - Near central campus
5. Opportunity to learn about different cultures and make new friends.
Once you've been selected to be part of the I-House Community, you will have an opportunity to apply to be a Community Leader. Community Leader is responsible for organizing various events and activities with the community members and the Advisor. Community Leader will receive a small stipend.
There are only 24 spaces available, so apply as soon as possible. Please contact Tim Yoon, I-House Community Advisor, for any questions at email@example.com or via phone x4352. Thank you!