Follow the steps provided below if you are interested in obtaining a driver's license

*Note: most of license information is from DMV website, check for copyrights before posting online!

Under 18: (
To apply for a provisional permit, you will need the following:
1. Be at least 15 ½, but under 18 years of age
2. Visit a DMV office (make an Appointment(s))
DMV Locations closest to campus:

1910 North Broadway
Walnut Creek
(800) 777-0133

5300 Claremont Ave.
Oakland, CA 94618
(800) 777-0133

2070 Diamond Blvd.
Concord, CA 94520
(800) 777-0133

3. Arrive 10 minutes earlier Wait in line to get a number (E.g. G23 Counter 2): notify DMV officer that you have an appointment, he/she will hand you a forms to fill out and when your number is called, you will hand in your document at the assigned counter
4. Have your parents’ or guardians’ signatures on the application form DL 44

When you are at the counter you will have to:
• Give a thumb print
• Have your picture taken
• Provide your social security number. If you do not have a SSN follow these steps: 
   Before going to the DMV, go to the Social Security office and “apply” for a SSN. Tell them you
    need a stamped piece of paper that verifies you have been to the Social Security Office and are
    denied to get a SSN. Bring that sheet to the DMV in place of providing a social security number
• Submit the proper form(s) for driver education and/or driver training classes and the DL44
• Verify your birth date and legal presence: Passport and Student Visa
• “Provide your true full name if your name no longer matches the name on your birth date legal presence document.”
• Pay the application fee: This fee entitles you to three exams of any type within the 12-month period and pays for both the instruction permit and the driver license. If all requirements are not met within the 12-month period, the application becomes void and all steps must be completed again.
• Pass a vision exam
• Pass a traffic laws and sign test. There are 46 questions on the test. A passing score is at least 39 correct answers. You have three chances to pass the test. If you fail, you must wait 7 days before taking it again.
Note: To allow you sufficient time for testing DMV will not be administering written or audio exams after 4:30 p.m.

Over 18: (

How to apply for a driver license if you are over 18
If you are a visitor in California over 18 and have a valid driver license from your home state or country, you may drive in this state without getting a California driver license as long as your home state license remains valid.
If you become a California resident, you must get a California driver license within 10 days. Residency is established by voting in a California election, paying resident tuition, filing for a homeowner’s property tax exemption, or any other privilege or benefit not ordinarily extended to nonresidents.
To apply for an original driver license if you are over 18, you will need to do the following:
• Visit a DMV office (make an Appointment(s) for faster service)
• Complete application form DL 44 (An original DL 44 form must be submitted. Copies will not be accepted.)
• Give a thumb print
• Have your picture taken
• Provide your social security number. It will be verified with the Social Security Administration while you are in the office.
• Verify your birth date and legal presence If your current name no longer matches the name on your birth data/legal presence document, see “True Full Name” and “How to Change Your Name” for more information.
• Provide your true full name
• Pay the application fee
• Pass a vision exam
• Pass a traffic laws and sign test. There are 36 questions on the test. You have three chances to pass. (Sample Test)
Note: To allow you sufficient time for testing DMV will not be administering written or audio exams after 4:30 p.m.
You will then be issued a permit if you have never been licensed before. When you practice, you must have an accompanying adult who is 18 years of age or older, with a valid California license. This person must be close enough to you to take control of the vehicle if necessary. It is illegal for you to drive alone.
If you have a license from another country, you will be required to take a driving test. If you have a license from another state, the driving test can be waived.

To take your driving test, you will need to:
• Make a driving test Appointment(s). (Driving tests are not given without an appointment.) You may also call 1-800-777-0133 between the hours of 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. Monday-Friday, to make a driving test appointment.
• Provide proof of financial responsibility
• California Insurance Requirements
You have three chances to pass the driving test. If you fail, you may practice for a while, then make another appointment. There is no waiting period, but you must make an appointment. If you fail to successfully complete the driving test on the first attempt, you must pay a $6 fee for each additional driving test that is administered under an application for an original or renewal driver license.
After you pass your driving test you will be issued an interim license valid for 90 days until you receive your new photo license in the mail. Double-check your address before you leave DMV and tell the DMV representative if you have moved or if your address is incorrect. If you have not received your license after 60 days, call 1-800-777-0133 and they can check on the status for you. Have your interim license with you to provide information when requested.
If your name is different on your birth date and/or legal presence document than the one you are currently using, you will also need to provide an additional acceptable document to establish your true full name, such as; a marriage certificate, dissolution of marriage, adoption or name change document that shows your current name.

If you have an international license (

International Driving Permits
*The State of California does not recognize an International Driving Permit (IDP) as a valid driver license. California does recognize a valid driver license that is issued by a foreign jurisdiction (country, state, territory) of which the license holder is a resident.
The IDP is only a translation of information contained on a person’s foreign driver license and is not required to operate a motor vehicle in California. Citations issued to a person in California who has an IDP, but does not have a California driver license will be placed on the Department of Motor Vehicle database.
The IDP is also called an International Driver License, International License, etc.

International Driving Permits
Although many countries do not recognize U.S. driver's licenses, most countries accept an International Driving Permit (IDP). An IDP functions as an official translation of a U.S. driver's license into 10 foreign languages.
How to Apply for an International Driving Permit
Before departure, you can obtain an IDP at a local office of one of the two automobile associations authorized by the U.S. Department of State:
• AAA (American Automobile Association)
• National Auto Club
To apply for an IDP, you must:
• Be at least age 18
• Present two passport-size photographs and
• Present your valid U.S. license
The cost of an IDP from these U.S. State Department-authorized organizations is less than $20.00.

Auto Insurance
*Do not drive your car until you get your insurance.
Car rental companies overseas usually provide auto insurance, but in some countries, the required coverage is minimal. When renting a car overseas, consider purchasing additional insurance coverage that is at least equivalent to what you carry at home. In general, your U.S. auto insurance does NOT cover you abroad; however, your policy may apply when you drive to countries neighboring the United States. Check with your insurer before you leave to see if your policy covers you in Canada, Mexico, or countries south of Mexico. Even if your policy is valid, it may not meet that country’s minimum requirement. If you are under-insured for a particular country, auto insurance can usually be purchased separately on either side of the border.