This year’s graduating class—764 undergrads—was the largest ever in the history of Saint Mary’s. Students hailed from 15 countries, including Australia, Hong Kong, the Philippines, Nepal, Sweden and Eritrea, and more than 17 states including Nebraska, Tennessee, Pennsylvania, Alaska, Georgia and Massachusetts.
- Commencement in photos and on social media
- Graduates recall memories of Saint Mary's
- Academic honors and award receipients
- Valedictorian Justher Gutierrez Reflects on Saint Mary's
- How the College prepared for the big weekend
Panetta Gives Commencement Address
Leon Panetta, former Secretary of Defense and CIA Director under President Barack Obama, delivering the commencement address stated, "Change in our democracy will come from the bottom up, not the top down. Your degree and your education is a license to action, not an excuse to sit back and do nothing."
- Contra Costa Times, Bay Area News Outlets, Report on Commencement Address by Leon Panetta
- San Jose Mercury News Photo Gallery Spotlights SMC's Undergraduate Commencement Ceremony
- Announcement of Leon Panetta as Commencement Speaker
Over 550 students, along with families and friends, gathered on Sunday to celebrate the graduate and professional programs commencement.
James R. Quandt '71 Delivers Commencement Address
James R. Quandt '71, co-founder and managing partner of the California private equity firm Thomas James Capital, advised students to, "Tuck a little piece of Saint Mary’s into your heart and your soul and never, ever forget that it is there. I promise you it will serve you well."
- James R. Quandt's commencement speech (PDF)
- Announcement of James R. Quandt '71 as Commencement Speaker