I'm interested. How should I proceed?         

  • If you wish to have an admissions packet mailed to you, please call the Kalmanovitz School of Education (KSOE) at 925-631-4700 or fill out the Information Request.
  • You may apply for the Graduate Counseling Program by completing our Online Application.
  • After submitting your application, you will be notified to schedule an admissions interview.
  • Your aaplication includeds the follwing documentation: 


     2) OFFICIAL TRANSCRIPTS: (1) (in a sealed envelopes) from all colleges attended.  If your B.A. is in-progress, send an unofficial one now; send the official transcript after your B.A. is posted.

    3) BACHELOR’S DEGREE: Evidence of completion from a regionally accredited college.

    4) LETTERS OF RECOMMENDATION: (3) (in sealed envelopes)

    5) TUBERCULIN TEST REPORT: A report current within four years is required.

    6) (15) PERSONAL & PROFESSIONAL COMPETENCIES of GCP Student Counselors (read & sign at admissions interview or after).

    7) CALIFORNIA CERTIFICATE OF CLEARANCE: (student needs to have at least paid for the CTC document): Required for all School Counseling & School Psychology Students.

    8) HEALTH INSURANCE: Carrying health and accident insurance is a requirement for all students in the Kalmanovitz School of Education.  Please submit a copy of your insurance card.  You will need to sign a waiver if you do not have insurance.

    9) CBEST: (PPS School Counseling & School Psychology applicants only) Proof of registration for a CBEST testing date. Passing is not required for admission; however, passing all sub-tests is required prior to beginning any practicum or field placement.

What are the application and admissions deadlines?
The Graduate Counseling Program (GCP) has year-round admissions. Those who are accepted to the program may begin their coursework at any of three terms each year: fall semester; spring semester; or summer term (6 weeks). We strongly encourage you to submit your application by the priority deadline, which is generally 90 days before the term in which you want to begin the program. We will continue to accept applications after this date as long as space is available, until the final deadlines posted below:        


All application materials must be received by Saturday, April 1, 2014. An interview must be completed by Saturday, April 26th, 2014. If you are interested in applying for the Fall Term, 2014, application materials must be submitted by Thursday, May 1, 2014.

What about tuition and financial aid?
Tuition is $875 per unit for the 2013-2014 academic year. 

Financial aid information, including Internet resources and scholarships offered by KSOE, is available online or at our reception desk (2nd floor FAH).  For specific loan information and advice, contact the College’s Financial Aid Office at 925-631-4370.

The Division of Application and Awards for the National Health Service Corps Scholarship may be accepting Scholarship/Loan Repayment applications in spring under the ARRA. Decisions will be sent by September 30. The application review process will be on-going until ARRA funds run out. In exchange for 2 years of service at an eligible high-need site, the NHSC Loan Repayment program offers repayment of educational loans for clinicians who are providing full-time clinical services. Up to $50,000 (less if the total outstanding loan balance is lower than $50,000) towards qualifying educational loan debt is available. Clinicians who stay at their sites longer may be eligible to apply for additional years of support. (See link to NHSC LRP website above right.)

Is the GRE required?
No, the GRE is not required.

When are classes held?
Almost all Graduate Counseling Program (GCP) courses are held in the late afternoon or evenings on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, or Thursday. Most of the 3-unit courses are held one evening a week, at the 4:15-7:00pm time slot or at the 7:15-10:00pm time slot.  A few courses, such as COUN 520 and 521, are held on Saturdays. During the January and Summer Terms, class times vary, depending on the number of units. Almost all classes are held after 4pm on week nights and/or on Saturdays.

Where are classes held?
All GCP class sessions are held at the Saint Mary’s College campus in Moraga.  We do not have any online courses or satellite locations.

May I attend the program full-time or part-time?
Students may enroll full- or part-time and can complete the General Master of Arts in Counseling or the Career Counseling or College Student Services specializations in a minimum of two years if they attend full-time.  However, allowing three years to complete the MFT/LPCC or the School Counseling specializations is advised. The School Psychology specialization requires three years, full-time.

Is it feasible to work full-time and go to school full-time? 
Many of our students work, either full-time or part-time. We will help you design a Plan of Study that takes into account how much you work, as well as other personal and family responsibilities and activities. We do not recommend that students who work FT also go to school FT.

Maps & Directories

Mailing Address

Saint Mary's College of California
1928 Saint Mary's Road
Moraga, CA 94575
(925) 631-4000
Google Map | Campus Map | PO Boxes