The English Department offers academic scholarships to highly-qualified and highly-motivated students majoring in English. Starting in the Fall of 2014, one scholarship in the amount of $13,000 for each of four years of consecutive full-time study will be awarded to an entering freshman.
Initial application process for School of Liberal Arts Scholarships:
- Applicants must submit all application materials (Common Application, high school transcript, a letter of recommendation, ACT or SAT scores) on or before the Early Action deadline of November 15.
- Application materials for the specific awards must be submitted via email to firstname.lastname@example.org or by mail to Admissions Office, c/o Drew Riley, PO Box 4800, Moraga, CA 94575 on or before noon, Dec. 6th, 2013.
- Students with complete applications must interview on campus January 25th, 2014 with faculty from their department of interest. (Overnight accommodations may be available on Friday, January 24th provided two weeks’ notice is provided.) The college may be able to assist in travel cost to students outside of Northern California; inquire with Drew Riley at email@example.com for more information.
- Students may only apply for one departmental scholarship.
Application Materials for English Department Scholarship:
- Two letters of recommendation, one to be written by the applicant’s junior or senior year high school English teacher.
- Two essays. One explaining (750 words) why the applicant wishes to major in English; the second (1000-1750 words) analyzing a literary text.
- Applicants may also include an example of their creative writing.
The recipient must major in English, and contribute to English Department activities. Such contributions might include assisting with the department website, working on the literary magazine, or helping to organize English Club events.