Upon successfully completing the English Program, students will be able to...
- Engage in informed, active reading, bringing to bear a broad base of literary, historical and cultural knowledge;
- Read critically a wide range of literary texts, with an awareness of the theoretical assumptions behind various interpretive strategies, and the ability to choose appropriate methods of inquiry and to formulate clear questions;
- Apply a variety of reading strategies, combining critical detachment with the intellectual, imaginative, and emotional engagement necessary for appreciation;
- Write clear, well-reasoned prose for a variety of situations (academic, professional, social) for a variety of audiences and support their arguments with appropriate, thoughtfully analyzed evidence; and
- Converse articulately about texts and interpretations, understanding that interpretation is often a dialogic, collaborative process.