This is a helpful checklist...
- Explain the availability of funds for relocation and how to be reimbursed for relocation expenses.
- Establish a department contact person to supply information on relocation.
- Provide a packet of information on Realtors, schools, neighborhoods, utility companies, daycare facilities available on campus or in the area, places of worship, community organizations, and athletic facilities.
- Offer web site addresses (URLs) for Realtors and the local newspaper.
- Provide the newcomer with a subscription to the Sunday edition of the local paper for the three months preceding his or her move.
- Explain what the institution and department can provide in terms of assistance for spouse or domestic partner employment.
- Be specific about institutional benefits including provisions for domestic partners.
- Make clear under what conditions the tenure clock can be stopped.
- Provide information on special interest or religious organizations on and off campus.
- Include information on campus and community accessibility for faculty or their family members with a disability.
Bensimon, E. M., Ward, K., & Sanders, K. (2000). The Department Chair’s Role in Developing New Faculty into Teachers and Scholars. Bolton, MA: Anker Publishing Co.