The interdisciplinary courses and language instruction taken by students prepare them for enriching cultural experiences during their study abroad.
SMC courses that fulfill the interdisciplinary required courses are listed in the course catalog. Students often fulfill the Interdisciplinary course requirements during their study abroad experience. GRS 100 and GRS 196 must be taken at Saint Mary's. If you have any questions about these requirements, please contact the program director.
See links at bottom of page for helpful CHECK LISTS
Students must complete the following five courses:
- Anthropology 1: Introduction to Social and Cultural Anthropology
- Economics 3: Principles of Micro-Economics
- Economics 4: Principles of Macro-Economics
- History 2: World History
- Politics 1: Introduction to Comparative Politics
Student must complete the following six courses:
- GRS 100: Cultural Geography and Global Societies
- An anthropology course with a focus on the student's region of study
- An history course with a focus on the student's region of study
- A literature or art course with a focus on the student's region of study
- A politics course with a focus on the student's region of study
- GRS 196: Independent Study – Senior Thesis
|East Asia||Europe||Latin America|
|Anthropology||ANTH 121: China||ANTH 121: Europe||ANTH 121: Central America or Latin America|
|History||HIST 160, 161, 162||HIST 110, 115, 116, 117||HIST 150, 151, 152, 153, 154|
|check with Director for appropriate courses||ENG 103, 104, 144, 160, 161; FREN 121, 122, 123; SPAN 120, 121, 122, 127, 160 or
MODL 187; MODL 186
|SPAN 140, 141, 143, 145; MODL 188, 189|
|Politics||POL 144||POL 146||POL 145|
Note: Students must take ANTH 121 when the content is on their region.