Essential Campus & Other Resources
** IMPORTANT: Your SMC email address is the main way the College and department will communicate with you throughout the program so please check it regularly to ensure you don't miss out on important updates and opportunities.
Click here to download this year's calendar and keep up with important registration deadlines, term start & end dates, holiday breaks, and more.
Academic Policies and Procedures
In conjunction with the Graduate and Professional Student Handbook, the Graduate Kinesiology Academic Policies and Procedures govern several aspects of the program including GPA and course requirements, attendance, enrollment and refunds, and comprehensive examinations. Please review both documents thoroughly before beginning classes and when questions arise throughout your time in the program. If you have any questions or concerns please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call (925) 631-8834.
Address and Name Changes
Please use the following forms to keep the College up to date on any address or other personal information changes.
The SMC Bookstore is your best resource for textbooks, SMC gear, and quick snacks.
To find your textbooks:
- Go to their website and click on the box labeled "Rent Textbooks and Save."
- Select the correct term (Summer Term, Fall Semester or Spring Semester) from the drop down menu under Term.
- Select KINES under Department.
- Find the correct course number under Course. (If you don't see your course number listed on the drop-down menu please call (925) 631-8834 or email email@example.com.)
- The section number is almost always 01.
- Once you've selected all of your courses, click on the Find Materials button at the bottom of the form to retrieve a listing of all the required and recommended textbooks for your courses. If your course doesn't require any textbooks then the system will alert you that no materials are required.
Once you've found your textbooks you can purchase them directly from the bookstore or use the information (title, author, ISBN number) to find the books at other retailers such as Amazon.com, Chegg.com, and Half.com. Please note that shipping from other retailers, especially for used books, can be a very lengthy process so plan to order your books at least two or more weeks prior to the first day of class.
Have questions about tuition or other charges? Contact the Accounts Receivable Department in the Business Office located on the first floor of Filippi Hall at (925) 631-4209 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Located in Brother Urban Gregory (BUG) hall, the Career Center is your source for great resume, LinkedIn, and other career-oriented workshops; an exclusive regional, national and international job board; and many other career and scholarship resources. To learn more visit their website or call (925) 631-4600 to schedule an appointment.
Financial Aid Office
For questions regarding your loans or other financial aid awards please contact the Financial Aid Office directly at (925) 631-4370 or (866) 306-0390. Please note that you must be registered for enough units to be considered a part-time student in order to be and remain eligible for financial aid. For the MA in Kinesiology program part-time is defined as 3 units in summer and, at least, 5 units in fall and spring semesters. Full-time is defined as 6 units in summer and 9 units in fall and spring semesters.
- The Bookstore (located near the Post Office) to buy snacks.
- Oliver Hall (next to the Chapel) to buy a hot meal.
- Cafe Louis (next to the Bookstore) to buy Aspretto coffees, snacks and sandwiches.
Some important things to know. . .
- Add Gael Flex dollars to your student ID card and get a discount on food purchased at Oliver Hall and Cafe Louis.
- Oliver Hall and Cafe Louis hours can vary so be sure to check the Sodexo Dining Services' website regularly.
- During some Wednesday lunch hours (12:30-2) the school hosts a BBQ in the Quad area. Watch your email for information regarding these events.
GaelXpress is the online portal to access registration, class schedules, academic evaluations, unofficial transcripts and more. To access GaelXpress log in through the My Saint Marys page using the information provided to you when you were accepted into the program. Need help logging in? Contact IT Services (925) 631-4266. Be sure to have your student ID number handy.
Join Gael Force for $20 and attend basketball games for free! Present your Graduate & Professional SMC student ID card to receive discounts on all other sporting event tickets too.
Create your GaeLink profile to access the Career Center's Job Board and to take full advantage of all of their career resources and programming. Click here to learn more and complete your profile today!
Graduate & Professional Student Support Group - NEW!
This group, exclusively for Graduate & Professional students, meets every week to discuss important topics such as networking, self-care, and developing strategies for your career path. Learn more here.
If you are an F-1 visa student, you will need to make sure that your courseload is considered full time for Fall and Spring terms. You will also need to make sure that the hours you work part-time are on-campus and not exceeding 20 hours during Fall and Spring terms. For more information on this, contact Tim Yoon (email@example.com).
The Center for International Programs organizes mixers and dinners for graduate international students (and undergraduate international students) to meet and network. Contact them for more information on these events!
Internships & Independent Studies
Click here for information on internships and independents studies.
The best place for all of your research needs, the SMC Library is open Mon-Fri 7:30 AM - 1:00 AM, Sat 9:30 AM - 6:00 PM, and Sun 10:00 AM - 1:00 AM. For general reference help stop by or call the reference desk at (925) 631-4624 during regular business hours or email firstname.lastname@example.org. For Kinesiology-specific research help please contact Joshua Rose, our subject specialist, email@example.com.
Grad Kines Office Location and Hours
The Graduate Kinesiology Office is located in Saint Joseph Hall (in-between the Power Plant and Madigan Gym) in Room 101. It is generally open Mon - Fri from 9:00 AM - 4:30 PM. Closed holidays.
Parking & Public Transportation
Every student who plans to drive to campus must have a parking permit. Please fill out and submit the online permit form prior to starting classes. Once you have your permit you can park in any of the commuter student lots designated by a "C" on the campus map.
Public transportion is available to and from campus and the Lafayette and Orinda BART stations via the County Connection Bus Service and Gael Rail, Route 250. For bus schedules, trip planners, and other information regarding this service, please visit http://www.cccta.org/ or http://www.stmarys-ca.edu/student-life/san-francisco-bay-area/transportation.
Need to jump your car, get into a locked classroom, or call 911? Public Safety provides 24-hour safety and security services for Saint Mary's College. To contact them call (925) 631-4282.
To register for classes:
- Make sure you're within the registration period (see Academic Calendar)
- Use your Saint Mary's Login to log in to my.stmarys-ca.edu
- Click the link to GaelXpress and access your student menu
- Click on "Register for Classes" and then "Search and Register"
- Select the term, subject (Kinesiology), level (Graduate) and enter number.
- If you have trouble with registration, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 925-631-8834.
To Add/Drop a class:
- Make sure you're still within the time frame allowed (see Academic Calendar)
- Let us know via email that you intend to add/drop a course (email@example.com). This is to help expedite the process and avoid any inappropriate fees.
To Add/Drop a class after the Add/Drop period:
- If you need to add or drop a class that you never attended you can fill out a Late Course Adjustment Form and return it to the Graduate Kinesiology office.
- If you need to drop a class you have attended you can fill out a Petition to Withdraw Form, with the professor's approval, and return it to the Graduate Kinesiology office.
- Please note that both actions will result in a $25.00 fee. For questions regarding refunds for tuition following a class drop or withdrawal contact the Business Office, (925) 631-4209. The Graduate Kinesiology department follows the College's established tuition refund policies and deadlines, no exceptions.
Here are some useful rules to know:
- You will not be able to register for classes if you have an outstanding balance or if you have two incompletes on your academic record.
- Any incompletes will turn into Fs at some point during the next semester (see Academic Calendar).
- If your grade point average falls below a 3.0, you are on academic probation.
- If you receive a C grade or below, you will not receive credit for that course.
- Watch your grades and read the Graduate Student Handbook for further details - these rules are college-wide!
Student Disability Services
Reasonable and appropriate accommodations are extended through the office of Student Disability Services to eligible students in an effort to create an equal opportunity to enjoy and participate in Saint Mary’s educational programs and campus life. Students with disabilities are encouraged to contact Student Disability Services at (925) 631-4358 to set up a confidential appointment to discuss accommodation guidelines and available services.
The Center for Writing Across the Curriculum (CWAC) provides FREE one-on-one writing advising for ALL Saint Mary's students! Drop in during their office hours or call to make an appointment. Skype sessions and peer writing circles are available.