Exceptional students who wish to explore a topic, theme, or subject that the History Department does not offer regularly as part of the curriculum have the option of creating a one-on-one tutorial with an individual history professor and developing an independent study. With faculty approval, the student may then engage in one semester of in-depth investigation and writing on a historical topic of the student's choosing.
The criteria for the Independent Study option in History includes:
1. Overall GPA of 3.0
2. Junior or Senior status
3. Satisfactory completion of History 10
4. Evidence the student has done previous course work on the region of intended study
5. The subject matter of the study is not regularly offered in the department
6. The student submits a proposal that includes the following:
a. Information about previous work in the region of intended study (including
courses taken, books read, and grades received)
b. The topic to be studied, including periodization
c. A reading list for the semester, prepared in consultation with the intended faculty
advisor, for the equivalent of 27 hours
d. What writing assignments will consist of, including number of pages
e. Timeline for completion
f. Name and approval by faculty advisor
7. The proposal must be sumitted and approved before the end of the semester prior to the semester the independent study will be undertaken. For Fall semester, the deadline is May 1. For Spring semester, the deadline is October 31.
8. The porposal must be approved by the department chair
Please contact the Department Chair for questions and information.