These are general guidelines to begin the recruitment process for adjuncts and tenure track faculty. Please refer to Section 2.3 of the Faculty Handbook for information on selection and appointment procedures.
The General Process to hire an Adjunct or Tenure track faculty member at SMC
Once you have received approval to hire, please send your job description and qualifications to Jan Jones at firstname.lastname@example.org to be inputted into the online system.
- Once the position has been entered into the online system, you or your designee will be notified to create an online job requisition (request). This job requisition is used to secure approvals through your School or Department and to ensure that it is proper funded prior to it being posted.
- Next, be sure to identify members of your Search Committee (if applicable) to Jan Jones at email@example.com, so that each member can gain access to view candidate information online.
- Once the position has been fully signed of from all approvers, then the position will be posted and advertisted.
- Positions are posted on the SMC site for a minimum of 5 business days. Positions are advertised on job boards for a minimum of 30 days. Interviewing can begin at anytime, however offers can only be made after a position posting is closed.
- Next, contact Jan Jones at firstname.lastname@example.org or (925) 631-4056 to meet with her and S. Jamila Buckner at email@example.com or 925-631-4213 to discuss faculty search procedures and recruitment strategies on how to attract quality candidates to the position. This meeting with also cover hiring timelines, search and interview protocol, how to effectively use the online system, how to recommend candidates for hire, and the onboarding process.
- Be sure to use your Recruitment partners throughout the process, especially during key times such as your initial committee meetings, travel for candidates coming for in person interviews, during the final stage of identifying candidates, to guide the reference process and background checking process.
For more information, please contact Jan Jones at 925-631-4056 or firstname.lastname@example.org.