Welcome to the Jan Term 2017 Course Proposal page! We are accepting proposals for Jan Term 2017 Travel courses in the month of November 2015, and for Jan Term 2017 On-Campus courses in the month of March 2016.
Here you will find the Jan Term 2017 course proposal forms and guidelines for submission.
Please note that we have different submission periods for Travel and On-Campus courses:
- On-Campus course proposals for Jan Term 2017 must be submitted in March 2016.
- Travel course proposals for Jan Term 2018 must be submitted in November 2016.
Travel course proposals are reviewed by the January Term Committee in December and January, and On-Campus course proposals are reviewed April and May. The lead-time for curriculum development and for production of our course catalog is long. Hence, there will be NO exceptions to the following guidelines:
- Proposals must be submitted within each course type's open submission period.
- Proposals must be SUBMITTED ONLINE - Click here to access the proposal form.
- If you taught a course in Jan Term 2015 and we do not have a syllabus on file, we will postpone review of your 2017 proposal until we receive your 2015 syllabus.
- As you create your proposal, make special note of the criteria for distinguishing between upper and lower division courses. Course proposals which do not supply a rationale for upper division status will be classified as lower division.
- We hope that faculty teaching lower division on-campus courses will continue the practice of reserving at least five places for freshmen. That practice has significantly reduced the complaints of freshmen.
- If you do not currently teach at SMC and wish to submit a course proposal, you must upload a current curriculum vita with your proposal. This vita should feature previous courses taught, and include both number and title.
- If you have problems or questions, please call the Jan Term Office at (925) 631-4245 or e-mail us at: [email protected].
Before you submit your 2017 January Term Course Proposal Form, we request that you review the following information:
- Jan Term Goals and Philosophy
- Guidelines for January Term Courses
- Co-Curricular Activities
- Course Fees
- Criteria for Travel Course Selection
Please do not hesitate to contact us with any questions.
Director of the January Term