Welcome to the Jan Term 2016 Course Proposal page! We are accepting proposals for Jan Term 2016 beginning March 1st and ending March 31st 2015.
Here you will find the Jan Term 2016 course proposal form and guidelines for submission. All course proposals are reviewed by the January Term Committee in April and May 2015, and the lead-time for production of our course catalog is very long. Hence, there will be NO exceptions to the following guidelines:
- Proposals are due anytime between March 1st and March 31, 2015.
- Proposals must be SUBMITTED ONLINE - Click here to access the proposal form.
- If you taught a course in Jan Term 2014 and we do not have a syllabus on file, we will postpone review of your 2016 proposal until we receive your 2015 syllabus.
- As you create your proposal, make special note of the criteria for distinguishing between upper and lower division courses. Course proposals which do not supply a rationale for upper division status will be classified as lower division.
- We hope that faculty teaching lower division courses will continue the practice of reserving at least five places for freshmen. That practice has significantly reduced the complaints of freshmen.
- If you do not currently teach at SMC and wish to submit a course proposal, you must upload a current curriculum vita with your proposal. This vita should feature previous courses taught, and include both number and title.
- If you have problems or questions, please call the Jan Term Office at (925) 631-4771 or e-mail us at: Janterm@stmarys-ca.edu.
Before you submit your 2016 January Term Course Proposal Form, we request that you review the following information:
- Guidelines for January Term Courses
- Co-Curricular Activities
- Course Fees
- Criteria for Travel Course Selection
At this web site you will also find a link to our vision statement and the announcement of the theme for January Term 2016. The January Term Committee hopes that faculty members will work together to develop courses and suggest co-curricular events related to that theme. We are committed to doing everything we can to enable faculty members to carry out their ideas. Although the January Term Committee will consider supporting any co-curricular event that is open to people throughout the campus community, we will give preference to those related to the theme.
Please do not hesitate to contact us with any questions.
Director of the January Term