Meet our faculty
- Western Association for Counselor Educators and Supervisors
The Western Association for Counselor Education and Supervision (WACES) was founded in 1961 as one of five regional organizations of the national Association for Counselor Education and Supervision (ACES). WACES counts among its members professionals and students from Alaska, Arizona, California, Hawaii, Nevada, Oregon, and Washington, as well as Pacific Rim countries. WACES seeks to advance the education, credentialing, and supervision of counselors. The association advocates for a multicultural approach that honors diversity and promotes the mastering of knowledge, skills, and competencies of its members who work in guidance, counseling, and student personnel services in all settings of society.
- Counselors for Social Justice
- American Counseling Association
- Association for Counselor Education and Supervision
- Association for Multicultural Counseling and Development
- Association for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Issues in Counseling Association for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Issues in Counseling
- National Association of Student Personnel Administrators
- Association for Humanistic Counseling Representative to the Social Justice Leadership Project
Invited to represent the Association for Humanistic Counseling (National Organization) at the 2013 Social Justice Leadership Development Project at the 2013 American Counseling Association’s Annual Conference in Cincinnati, Ohio on Thursday March 21, 2013. This is a prestigious invitation to work with nationally prominent leaders in the field of counseling as we strive to develop Social Justice Advocacy as the "Fifth Force" in the counseling profession. Michael D'Andrea and Allen Ivey, who personify the voices for social justice advocacy in the counseling and psychology professions, will lead this intensive vision-building session.
- Journal for Social Action in Counseling and Psychology Review Board
(2011 - 2014)
Review manuscripts for publication
- Journal of Humanistic Counseling, Education, and Development Journal Review Board
(2010 - 2014)
Review manuscripts for publication
- American Counseling Association Conference Program Reviewer
(2009 - 2013)
- Association of Counselor Educators and Supervisors Conference Program Reviewer
(2009 - 2014)
- Brooks/Cole-Thompson Learning Book Reviewer
- Cengage Publications Book Reviewer
- National Association of Student Personnel Administrators National Conference Program reviewer
- Graduate Counseling Program Student Organization - ADVISOR
Provide consultation to GCP students developing a new organization.
- KSOE Writing Proficiency Exam Committee
Committee Charge: To develop a comprehensive structure by which to administer the writing proficiency examination (WPE) to KSOE students, while valuing the unique needs of each program and the specific needs of students.
- Center for FIrst Generation to College Studies Advisory Board
(September 19, 2012)
- WASC Executive Steering Committee
Participate in process of institutional self-study process for reaccreditation.
- Institutional Review Board Committee
Review submissions for institutional research.
- 2012 Summer Leadership Institute: “Equity and Inclusion Through a Leadership Lens: What Works in Education.”
(June 21, 2012)
Moderator, by invitation, of a panel on current diversity and inclusion issues in the field of education; planning committee
- Critical Friends Reading Group
- KSOE Scholarship Committee
To review scholarship applications and make recommendations, as a committee about eligible student recipients based on scholarship criteria
- Oakland University Crisis Intervention Team
(2008 - Present)
Specialized training in crisis intervention and management at a large (20,000 students) institution.
- OU NCAA Self-Study Certification Committee, Minority Equity Chairperson
Provide leadership on minority equity committee during university self-study for re-certification by NCAA
- OU AP Assembly, Secretary
(2003 - 2005)
Report to university administration staff in all divisions regarding university decisions on labor issues
- Oakland University Assessment Committee
(2002 - 2003)
work on a team of faculty and staff to develop university assessment strategic plan.
- Oakland University Senate Budget Committee, AP Representative
(2001 - 2003)
Report to administrative professionals in all divisions regarding budget requests for new programs, majors, and capital developments.
- Keeper of the Dream Scholarship Awards Banquet
(2000 - 2005)
Led a university-wide team to secure three to five $5000 scholarships from corporate donors, a major speaker, and host 500 - 600 community leaders, faculty, staff and students. The Keeper of the Dream Scholarship Awards Banquet, established in 1993, honors the legacy of the late civil rights leader, Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. and recognizes Oakland University students who have contributed to interracial understanding and good will.
- Oakland County Community Mental Health Authority Suicide Prevention Coalition
(2006 - 2011)
Represent interests of Latino mental health service recipients.
- Oakland County Human Services Coordinating Council Cultural Competency Workgroup Vice-Chair
(2003 - 2004)
Co-led team of agency and county professionals to create understanding of all levels and degrees of need for minority communities in Oakland County, the largest county in the state of Michigan, to improve mental health service delivery.
- American Heart Association Heartwalk Entertainment Committee Chair.
(2002 - 2003)
Led team of community members to find performers for major community event which brought over 20,000 participants to campus
- American Heart Association Heartwalk Logistics Committee.
(2001 - 2002)
Worked with community and university team to develop logistics for event that brought over 20,000 to campus.
- Translation, English to Spanish, Spanish to English, clinical and personal communications
(1995 - Present)
Mentoring and coaching of economically and academically disadvantaged youth