Frequently asked questions:
Use your SMC email username and password
Are you a student, staff or faculty member at Saint Mary's College? Alumni and community borrowers are not eligible to use the subscription databases because of licensing agreements. You will need an SMC email account in order to connect to the library databases.
I'm eligible, but I don't have an SMC email account.
You need an SMC email account in order to connect to the databases. Contact the I.T. Services office to get this process in motion (925) 631-4266.
I get to this screen and it says I need to put in my name and password. What is that?
The screen you are looking at is the EZProxy screen. It requires that you type your email account name and your email password in order to connect to the databases.
I've put in my password and it says that it is incorrect.
Please contact I.T. Services if you are having trouble connecting via your email name and password. Call them at (925) 631-4266.
I've put in my information in the EZProxy screen, and it won't connect to the database.
I still can't connect.
There are several possible scenerios here:
- Firewalls: If you are trying to connect from work, there may be a firewall or other security preventing access. Please contact the System administrator of your workplace to see if this is so. You can also ask them if he/she can open Port 2048 for you.
- Browser settings:
'Cookies' must be enabled
Popups must be allowed
Sometimes it is helpful to clear history/caches on your computer
To change browser settings:
Select Tools, then Internet Options, then Security, to see if the Library site has been restricted (cookies not enabled). The General tab allows the history clearance.
- Select Edit, then Preferences, then Advanced, then Scripts and Plug-ins. If the cookies are enabled, they will be checked. Select Cache to clear the history. Allow Popups under the Privacy and Security tab.
- Choose the Safari heading, allow popups. Also select Preferences, then Security to indicate the security level for cookies. (An excellent choice is "only from sites you navigate to"). Go back to Preferences to clear the history.
- Try a different browser. Certain browsers do not connect well with specific databases, or there may be a problem with the browser bundled with your Internet Service provider. You may wish to have more than one browser on your computer, or update an older version of a browser. As of October, 2011, all databases work well with Firefox.
- Internet Explorer
- Safari (for Mac users only)
How can I email full text articles from the databases?
- If there is no option in the database to email the article, use the File menu on your browser, select Edit/Select All, then Copy and Paste the full text into your web-based email message and send it to yourself.
- Redo your search in the various databases from home. Use the database from the Library's home page http://www.stmarys-ca.edu/library in the Databases section. Once you log in to the database using your SMC username and password (the same ones used for your campus email), you will be able to do your search and print or download to your computer the articles you want.
If you have a link to an article that you want to access from off campus:
- Put this authentication information in front of the link in your email;
So your link looks like:
Clicking on the link should prompt our authentication page. Once you login as described above, the article should open.
If you have a DOI: Digital Object Identifier or PubMed ID: