Optimize your computer for Library Database Searching before your instruction session.
Bookmark the Library: http://www.stmarys-ca.edu/library
- allow pop-ups – under Tools/Options, Internet Options, or Preferences
- disable history; no caching or history – look under Tools/Options , Internet Options, or Preferences;
- allow cookies – under Tools/Options, Internet Options (Security Settings) or Preferences (on IE side the bar must be all the way down)
- Set PDF’s to open with Adobe Reader; not “Preview” or within a browser, so they can be saved to the desktop and emailed.
To test, open the document at this address:
- Java latest version – go to http://www.java.com/en/download/testjava.jsp Test and download the latest version, if needed.
Plugins for individual databases:
- ebrary Unity plugin. Choose the Databases link in the left navigation bar, and enter ebrary in the search box. Once into ebrary, enter “computers” in the search box. When the results appear click “ebrary reader” next to book title. Install. If the plugin is installed, a new window will pop up. There will be a speech tab at the upper right. (an aside, you don’t have to use the reader to read the book; the reader is used for the accessibility options)
- Taylor and Francis Ebooks (also on the Library databases page) – some of the books requires an Adobe Reader Plugin found here: http://plugin.fileopen.com/Default.aspx?bhcp=1