Click the blue banners below to connect to Library resources and recommended web links.
Discover articles and books from many of our databases.
Article Publisher Databases
Encyclopedia and Handbook Databases
Chemical Property databases
- In addition to ChemNetBase above:
- ChemIDplus - Dictionary of over 370,000 chemicals (names, synonyms, and structures) from National Library of Medicine's Specialized Information Service. Use the Advanced Search feature for chemical structure, property, and toxicity searching
- ChemSpider - Royal Society of Chemistry source for 26 million structures, synonyms, trade names, and formulas, with links to properties, spectra, etc. Links to both authoritative journal content (links to SMC subscribed content will only work on campus for this free resource) and non-authoritative (Wikipedia) content, so confirm results with other sources.
- NIST Webbook - (National Institute of Standards and Technology)Thermochemical, phase transition, gas phase IR and mass spectral data for thousands of compounds.
- PubChem and old PubChem - National Institutes of Health. Biological activities of small molecules. Search compounds, patents, targets, more.
- Merck Index. (Ref 615.1 M537 2013 ) 15th ed. Rahway, NJ: Merck, 2013.
- U. S. Patent Office Web Site.
- US Patent Office. Patent Search
- Google Patents. Another way to search for US Patents.
- World International Property Organization (WIPO) - This database searches for patents, trademarks, emblems. Japan and many other countries participate in this UN database.
- European Patent Office
Search journals, magazines, or newspapers by title, ISSN, or abbreviation
Biochemistry Periodicals Reading Room
Drug Design & Discovery
View additional subscribed Biochemistry periodicals.
Search Albert to find books, movies, etc..
Encyclopedias and Handbooks
- Encyclopedia of microbiology. [Amsterdam] : Elsevier, c2009.
- The enzyme reference : a comprehensive guidebook to enzyme nomenclature, reactions, and methods (Ref 574.1925 P973) San Diego, Calif. : Academic Press, c2002.
- Handbook of molecular and cellular methods in biology and medicine. Boca Raton, FL : CRC Press, c2011
- Kirk-Othmer encyclopedia of chemical technology. 26 vols. ( Ref 660.3 K634a) Hoboken, N.J. : Wiley-Interscience, c2007.
- Manual of industrial microbiology and biotechnology. Washington, DC : ASM Press, c2010
- Biochemistry. (Berg). From NCBI bookshelf.
- Medical Microbiology. From NCBI bookshelf.
- Molecular Biology of the Cell. From NCBI bookshelf.
- The Cell: A molecular approach. From NCBI bookshelf.
- Molecular biology and biotechnology. [London] : Royal Society of Chemistry, c2000
Drug Design and Discovery
- Development of therapeutic agents handbook. ebrary ebook. Hoboken, N.J. : John Wiley & Sons, c2012
- Case studies in modern drug discovery and development. ebrary ebook. Hoboken, NJ : John Wiley & Sons, c2012
- Drug discovery handbook. ebrary ebook. Hoboken, N.J. : Wiley-Interscience, c2005
Also search in Albert by Subject:
Prescription Drug Reference
- Drug Information - from Medline. Over-the-counter, prescription drugs, herbs and natural remedies. Sources are American Society of Health-System Pharmacists (ASHP), and Natural Standard.
- Physicians' Desk Reference: PDR. (Ref 615.1 P569) Oradell, NJ: Medical Economics. Annual.
- Martindale : the complete drug reference. 2 vols. (Ref 615.1 M366) London ; Chicago : Pharmaceutical Press, 2007.
- Drugs@FDA - Browse by an alphabetical index, or use the keyword search engine.
- MayoClinic.com - USPDI (U.S. Pharmacopia Dispensing Information) from Mayo Clinic. Requires Flash plug-in to enter the site. Search by drug name.
- PDR for nonprescription drugs, dietary supplements, and herbs. (Ref 615.1 P569n ) Montvale, N.J. : PDR Network, c2009
- Merck Index: An Encyclopedia of Chemicals, Drugs, and Biologicals. (Ref 615.1 M537) 15th ed. Rahway, NJ: Merck, 2013
- Oxford dictionary of biochemistry and molecular biology . Oxford ; New York : Oxford University Press, 2006
- Medical dictionary. Medline Plus.
- The dictionary of cell and molecular biology . London : Academic Press, 2013
- The ACS style guide: effective communication of scientific information. (Ref. 540.02 D661a) 3rd ed. Washington, DC : American Chemical Society ; Oxford ; New York : Oxford University Press, 2006.
- Quick Guide to Citing Using the ACS Style Guide from Pennsylvania State University's Physical and Mathematical Sciences Library.
Biological and Medical Style
- Scientific style and format: the CSE manual for authors, editors, and publishers. (Ref 808.0665 C832) Reston, VA: Council of Science Editors in cooperation with the Rockefeller University Press, 2006.
- The Library's APA Style Guide provides a summary, or the 6th edition of the Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association is available in the Reference Room (Ref 150.149 Am35b). APA has a separate Style Guide to Electronic Resources.
- The Chicago Manual of Style (16th edition) is available in the Reference Room (Ref 808.02 Un3e). You can also visit the Quick Guide from the Chicago Manual publishers.
- AMA manual of style : a guide for authors and editors. (American Medical Association). (Ref 808.0666 Am35) Oxford ; New York : Oxford University Press, c2007
- Citing medicine: the NLM style guide for authors, editors, and publishers [Internet]. 2nd ed. Bethesda (MD): National Library of Medicine (US); 2007
Mendeley Citation Manager
- Create an account and download to your desktop from this page
- Instructions for installing the Word Plugin from Mendeley desktop
- Having trouble putting it all together? The SMC Center for Writing Across the Curriculum (or, "The Writing Center"or CWAC) offers peer-to-peer advising sessions for both undergraduate and graduate students. You can call or stop by to make an appointment, or can also drop in and do a session immediately, if an adviser is available. See the CWAC website for more information, or stop by Dante 202, or call CWAC: 925.631.4684