Discover articles and books from many of our databases.
Columbia International Affairs Online (CIAO) focuses on theory and research in international...
Journal Publisher Databases
Reference Handbook Databases
Encyclopedias and Handbooks
- Animal Sciences, Complete dictionary of scientific biography, Environmental Encyclopedia, Environmental Issues: Essential Primary Sources. Encyclopedia of Environmental Ethics and Philosophy, Encyclopedia of Public Health, Endangered Species: Protecting Biodiversity, The Environment: A Revolution in Attitudes, Macmillan Encyclopedia of Energy, Pollution A to Z, Water: Science and Issues, Weather Almanac
Search journals, magazines, or newspapers by title, ISSN, or abbreviation
Browse a list of periodicals available for this subject: Earth & Environmental Science
Search Albert to find books, movies, etc..
Encyclopedias and Handbooks
- Environmental issues in American history : a reference guide with primary documents. (Ref 333.7 M275) Greenwood Press, 2006.
- Encyclopedia of environmental science and engineering, 2v. (Ref 333.7 P471). Boca Raton : CRC, Taylor & Francis ; 2006.
- Handbook of environmental management and technology. (Ref 333.7 B917) New York : Wiley, c2000
- International environmental disputes : a reference handbook. (Ref 344.046 Sch91) Santa Barbara, Calif. : ABC-CLIO, c2006
- Princeton guide to ecology. (Ref 574.5 L578) Princeton, 2009.
- California Environmental Resources Evaluation System (CERES) - The goal of this system is to "improve environmental analysis and planning by integrating natural and cultural resource information from multiple contributors..." It covers all aspects of the California environment, organized into broad topics, such as community, technology, and data. Each subject is explored by statistics, reports, photographs, bibliographies, and more. Beautifully organized, but if you're confused, it's also searchable by keyword.
- California Department of Public Health - Environmental health - Links to categories of environmental health, such as Air, Environmental Justice, Hazards, Water. Department of Public Health also gathers links for all the CA agencies that produce information on environmental health topics.
- California Legislative Analyst's Office, Environment and Natural Resources Subject Area. Reports are organized by topic and date.
- California Almanac of Emissions and Air Quality. Also see Data & Statistics from the California Air Resources Board.
- Molds, Toxic Molds, and Indoor Air Quality - Full text report, dated March 2001, from the California Research Bureau.
- California Department of Fish and Game - Data & Maps. Summarizes and links to various statistical reports, and databases that reflect the threatened and endangered plants and animals within California. Also see this agency's page devoted to Threatened and Endangered Species, including their Plant List and Animal List.
- Beacham's guide to the endangered species of North America. Online. Detroit: Gale, 2000.
- Encyclopedia of Biodiversity. (Ref 333.95 L578) 5 vols. San Diego: Academic, 2001.
- IUCN Red List of Threatened Species
- Encyclopedia of endangered species. (574.529 Em11a) Detroit : Gale Research, c1999
- Official World Wildlife Fund Guide to Endangered Species of North America. (Ref 574.529 L951) 4 vols. Washington, DC: Beacham, 1990-1994.
- U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service - Endangered Species. Contains reports, warnings, press releases, and specific information on specific types of environments. If the report is specific to California, it indicates this.
- World Wildlife Fund Guide to Extinct Species of Modern Times. (Ref 574.529 B353) Osprey, FL: Beacham, 1997 to present.
- California Energy Commission - For energy reports and statistics.
- Nuclear Regulatory Commission - Nuclear Reactors, Nuclear Materials, Radioactive Waste, Nuclear Security, Public Meetings and Involvement and a Facility Locator Tool from the agency responsible for regulating nuclear power.
- Renewable and alternative energy resources : a reference handbook. (Ref 333.794 Sm68) Santa Barbara, Calif. : ABC-CLIO, c2008
- US Department of Energy. Resources for consumers, researchers, educators. Also see the DoE Energy Information Agency's Independent Statistics and Analysis.
- World Energy Outlook. (Ref 333.79 W893). See also the International Energy Agency website, which includes full pdf's of back issues and related policy documents.
- CDC-Environmental Health. Center for Disease Control's aggregation of information and links for environmental health issues.
- California Environmental and Natural Resources Law Handbook. (Ref 344.046 C128a) 12th ed. Rockville, MD: Government Institutes, 2004.
- Environmental Law Handbook. (Ref 344.046 G746) Rockville, MD: Government Institutes, Annual.
- Biodegradation of Hazardous Compounds. The University of Minnesota Biocatalysis/Biodegradation Database is a stockpile of information on organisms and the compounds they degrade and the methods/pathways of that degradation.
- California Department of Toxic Substances Control
- Envirostor - Find CA and Hazardous Waste facilities by zipcode. From the California Department of Toxic Substances Control.
Refuse and Refuse Disposal
- Waste management : a reference handbook. (Ref 363.728 V465) Santa Barbara, Calif. : ABC-CLIO, c2009
- Freshwater Issues. (Ref 333.91 Sm68) Santa Barbara: ABC-CLIO, 2002.
Organizations, Directories, and Career Resources
- California Environmental Protection Agency. Also see their Enforcement site.
- U.S. Environmental Protection Agency
- Earth First! - Latest news, and previous issues from its journal.
- Earth Island Institute is a non-profit, public interest, membership organization that supports people who are creating solutions to protect our shared planet.
- EnviroLink - Nonprofit organization created by students to share environmental resources.
- Friends of the Earth - Campaigns, press releases, and further environmental links.
- GreenPeace - Annual report, press releases, and campaigns. Searchable.
- Nature Conservancy, Conservation Science section See also their Freshwater Ecoregions of the World (FEOW). Identify outstanding and imperiled freshwater systems.
- Sierra Club - News, electronic magazines, activism information, and "hot topics."
- Conservation Directory. (Ref 333.7 N213) Washington DC: Island, 2004.
Atlases and Statistics
Atlases / Mapping
- Atlas of Global Change. (Ref 550 B388) New York: Macmillan, 1998
- Space Science and Engineering Center -- Including world photo-montages, updated every few hours, and some every hour. From the University of Wisconsin.
- EPA Environmental Justice. EJ View mapping tool. Create a map and data for any region and list toxic waste, non-compliance, Superfund sites, and more.
- AirNow. Data from EPA's Air Quality Index mapped and updated hourly.
Statistics Reference Sources and Web Sites
- California Almanac of Emissions and Air Quality. (2nd floor, 333.72 C128a) Sacramento: The Board, Annual.
- EPIC: Environmental Protection Indicators for California. Also available in print (Ref 333.72 C128e).
- State of the World (World Watch). (Ref 338.9 B813) New York: Norton, Annual. See also Earthtrends for more country profiles.
- World Resources: A Report by the World Resources Institute and the International Institute for Environment and Development. (Ref 333.7 W893) New York: Basic, Annual. More information on their web site.
- Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association. 6th ed. (APA) (Ref 150.149 Am35b) Washington DC: APA, 2010. For tips, consult: APA Style blog. The Library's summary is: APA Style Guide
- Scientific style and format: the CSE manual for authors, editors, and publishers. (Ref 808.0665 C832) Reston, VA: Council of Science Editors in cooperation with the Rockefeller University Press, 2006. Details the several methods of citation used for biological and other sciences.
How-To Videos and Tutorials
Mendeley Citation Manager
- Create an account and download to your desktop from this page
- Instructions for installing the Word Plugin from Mendeley desktop
- The Writing Center:
Having trouble putting it all together? The SMC Center for Writing Across the Curriculum (or, "The Writing Center"or CWAC) offers peer-to-peer advising sessions for both undergraduate and graduate students. You can call or stop by to make an appointment, or can also drop in and do a session immediately, if an adviser is available. See the CWAC website for more information, or stop by their office on the first floor of DeLaSalle, or call CWAC: 925.631.4684