Discover articles and books from all of our databases.
This database indexes journal literature from over 4200 journals in every area of the life...
"Columbia International Affairs Online (CIAO) is designed to be a comprehensive source for...
PAIS International covers literature in the fields of economics, political science, public...
This scholarly collection offers unmatched full-text coverage of information in many areas of...
Multi-disciplinary database providing the complete content from six of Wilson's full-text...
Unified search of Arts & Humanities, Science, and Social Sciences Citation Indexes. Indexes...
"GreenFILE offers well-researched but accessible information covering all aspects of human...
Indexes and abstracts articles in the fields of sociology, anthropology, criminology,...
Journal Publisher Databases
Reference Handbook Databases
- Animal Sciences, Complete dictionary of scientific biography, Environmental Encyclopedia, Environmental Issues: Essential Primary Sources. Encyclopedia of Environmental Ethics and Philosophy, Encyclopedia of Public Health, Endangered Species: Protecting Biodiversity, The Environment: A Revolution in Attitudes, Macmillan Encyclopedia of Energy, Pollution A to Z, Water: Science and Issues, Weather Almanac
Find periodicals by title, ISSN, or abbreviation
Browse a list of periodicals available for this subject: Earth & Environmental Science
Encyclopedias and Handbooks
- Environmental issues in American history : a reference guide with primary documents. (Ref 333.7 M275) Greenwood Press, 2006.
- Encyclopedia of environmental science and engineering, 2v. (Ref 333.7 P471). Boca Raton : CRC, Taylor & Francis ; 2006.
- Handbook of environmental management and technology. (Ref 333.7 B917) New York : Wiley, c2000
- International environmental disputes : a reference handbook. (Ref 344.046 Sch91) Santa Barbara, Calif. : ABC-CLIO, c2006
- Princeton guide to ecology. (Ref 574.5 L578) Princeton, 2009.
- California Environmental Resources Evaluation System (CERES) - The goal of this system is to "improve environmental analysis and planning by integrating natural and cultural resource information from multiple contributors..." It covers all aspects of the California environment, organized into broad topics, such as community, technology, and data. Each subject is explored by statistics, reports, photographs, bibliographies, and more. Beautifully organized, but if you're confused, it's also searchable by keyword.
- California Department of Public Health - Environmental health - Links to categories of environmental health, such as Air, Environmental Justice, Hazards, Water. Department of Public Health also gathers links for all the CA agencies that produce information on environmental health topics.
- California Legislative Analyst's Office, Environment and Natural Resources Subject Area. Reports are organized by topic and date.
- California Almanac of Emissions and Air Quality. Also see Data & Statistics from the California Air Resources Board.
- Molds, Toxic Molds, and Indoor Air Quality - Full text report, dated March 2001, from the California Research Bureau.
- California Department of Fish and Game - Data & Maps. Summarizes and links to various statistical reports, and databases that reflect the threatened and endangered plants and animals within California. Also see this agency's page devoted to Threatened and Endangered Species, including their Plant List and Animal List.
- Beacham's guide to the endangered species of North America. Online. Detroit: Gale, 2000.
- Encyclopedia of Biodiversity. (Ref 333.95 L578) 5 vols. San Diego: Academic, 2001.
- IUCN Red List of Threatened Species
- Encyclopedia of endangered species. (574.529 Em11a) Detroit : Gale Research, c1999
- Official World Wildlife Fund Guide to Endangered Species of North America. (Ref 574.529 L951) 4 vols. Washington, DC: Beacham, 1990-1994.
- U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service - Endangered Species. Contains reports, warnings, press releases, and specific information on specific types of environments. If the report is specific to California, it indicates this.
- World Wildlife Fund Guide to Extinct Species of Modern Times. (Ref 574.529 B353) Osprey, FL: Beacham, 1997 to present.
- California Energy Commission - For energy reports and statistics.
- Nuclear Regulatory Commission - Nuclear Reactors, Nuclear Materials, Radioactive Waste, Nuclear Security, Public Meetings and Involvement and a Facility Locator Tool from the agency responsible for regulating nuclear power.
- Renewable and alternative energy resources : a reference handbook. (Ref 333.794 Sm68) Santa Barbara, Calif. : ABC-CLIO, c2008
- US Department of Energy. Resources for consumers, researchers, educators. Also see the DoE Energy Information Agency's Independent Statistics and Analysis.
- World Energy Outlook. (Ref 333.79 W893). See also the International Energy Agency website, which includes full pdf's of back issues and related policy documents.
- Environmental Health News. Compilation of news stories. From Environmental Health Service, a nonprofit organization.
- California Environmental and Natural Resources Law Handbook. (Ref 344.046 C128a) 12th ed. Rockville, MD: Government Institutes, 2004.
- Environmental Law Handbook. (Ref 344.046 G746) Rockville, MD: Government Institutes, Annual.
- Biodegradation of Hazardous Compounds. The University of Minnesota Biocatalysis/Biodegradation Database is a stockpile of information on organisms and the compounds they degrade and the methods/pathways of that degradation.
- California Department of Toxic Substances Control
- Envirostor - Find CA and Hazardous Waste facilities by zipcode. From the California Department of Toxic Substances Control.
Refuse and Refuse Disposal
- Waste management : a reference handbook. (Ref 363.728 V465) Santa Barbara, Calif. : ABC-CLIO, c2009
- Freshwater Issues. (Ref 333.91 Sm68) Santa Barbara: ABC-CLIO, 2002.
- Encyclopedia of Climate and Weather. (Ref 551.503 Sch58) 2 vols. New York: Oxford, 1996.
- National Weather Service - Forecasts (U.S.) and historical records.
Organizations, Directories, and Career Resources
- Earth First! - Latest news, and previous issues from its journal.
- Earth Island Institute is a non-profit, public interest, membership organization that supports people who are creating solutions to protect our shared planet.
- EnviroLink - Nonprofit organization created by students to share environmental resources.
- Friends of the Earth - Campaigns, press releases, and further environmental links.
- GreenPeace - Annual report, press releases, and campaigns. Searchable.
- Nature Conservancy, Conservation Science section See also their Freshwater Ecoregions of the World (FEOW). Identify outstanding and imperiled freshwater systems.
- Sierra Club - News, electronic magazines, activism information, and "hot topics."
- Conservation Directory. (Ref 333.7 N213) Washington DC: Island, 2004.
- Careers for Environmental Types and Others Who Respect the Earth. (Ref 331.128 F266) Chicago: VGM, 2002.
- Complete Guide to Environmental Careers in the 21st Century. (Ref 331.702 D775) Rev. ed. Washington, DC: Island, 1999
Atlases and Statistics
- AAAS Atlas of Population and Environment. (Ref 333.7 H247) New York: AAAS, 2000.
- Atlas of Global Change. (Ref 550 B388) New York: Macmillan, 1998
- Space Science and Engineering Center -- Including world photo-montages, updated every few hours, and some every hour. From the University of Wisconsin.
- California Almanac of Emissions and Air Quality. (2nd floor, 333.72 C128a) Sacramento: The Board, Annual.
- EPIC: Environmental Protection Indicators for California. Also available in print (Ref 333.72 C128e).
- State of the World (World Watch). (Ref 338.9 B813) New York: Norton, Annual. See also Earthtrends for more country profiles.
- World Resources: A Report by the World Resources Institute and the International Institute for Environment and Development. (Ref 333.7 W893) New York: Basic, Annual. More information on their web site.
Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association. 6th ed. (APA) (Ref 150.149 Am35b) Washington DC: APA, 2010.
For Internet Resources, consult: APA style guide to electronic references. Publisher Washington, DC : American Psychological Association, c2012
The Library's summary is: APA Style Guide
Scientific style and format: the CSE manual for authors, editors, and publishers. (Ref 808.0665 C832) Reston, VA: Council of Science Editors in cooperation with the Rockefeller University Press, 2006. Details the several methods of citation used for biological and other sciences.