These pages are for general reference uses, that is, not pertaining to a specific subject. Please visit the subject guides for more specific information.
Search Albert to find books, movies, etc..
ReferenceUniverse indexes article titles and back-of-the-book indexes from nearly 10,000 print...
An online collection reproducing ABC-CLIO's history reference print titles from all areas of...
Collection of science reference materials based on the full text and illustrations from the...
An online cross-searchable library of reference handbooks, companions & encyclopedias in the...
The online version of Britannica also includes: Merriam-Webster's collegiate dictionary and...
Provides searchable full-text e-book versions of many reference works, including multi-volume...
Oxford Reference Online Premium Collection brings together nearly 200 language and subject...
The Library has hundreds of specialized dictionaries in print and online, search Albert for more!
The OED presents in alphabetical series the words that have formed the English vocabulary from...
- Visual English Dictionary - 6,000 computer generated color diagrams and illustrations from 800 subjects across 14 themes.
- Oxford Paperback Thesaurus - 300,000 alternative and opposite words; the most useful alternative word is given first, with words closest in meaning to the entry word given in capitals.
- The Concise Oxford Spanish Dictionary
- The Concise Oxford-Hachette French Dictionary
- The Concise Oxford-Duden German Dictionary
- The Pocket Oxford Italian Dictionary
- Kodansha's Furigana English-Japanese Dictionary, (Ref 495.632 Y83)
The atlases are primarily located on the first floor of the Library, with three different locations.
- Atlas Case (very large atlases located in a special case near the Gaelprints printer),
- Reference Oversize (large atlases located in the last set of shelves in the reference room facing the windows) and
- Reference (smaller atlases located on the shelves according to their Dewey Decimal number).
The Library also has printed and topographical maps, useful for faculty in the classroom, located on the 3rd floor in the Map Case.
To find maps in Albert, the library's online catalog, do a keyword seach using a location or concept and the word maps. For example:
- California maps
- Slave trade maps
To limit to online maps in Albert type your keywords in the search box and then pull down the arrow next to the box and select "electronic resources"
For more online maps try:
AtoZMapsOnline.com is the worlds largest subscription-based database of proprietary,...
- Atlas of Historical County Boundaries - Browse by state. Includes interactive maps, shapefiles, chronologies, and metadata.
- American Geographical Society Library - A great source for historical maps. Look at the Cartographic Collection
- Commercial Atlas and Marketing Guide. (Atlas Case Ref 912.73 R158) Chicago: Rand McNally, Annual.
- Encyclopedia of Geography. Thousand Oaks, Calif: Sage Publications, c2010. Available online.
- National Geographic Atlas of the World. (Atlas Case Ref 912 N213) Washington DC: National Geographic, 1999.
- National Geographic Maps - Click on the "maps" link to view a selection of high quality national geographic maps.
- Perry Castaneda Library Maps - Browse a huge number of maps, beautifully organized by University of Texas at Austin.
- Road Atlas: United States, Canada, and Mexico. (Atlas Case Ref 912 R158) Chicago: Rand McNally.
- Times Atlas of the World. (Atlas Case Ref 912 T482e) New York: Times, 1999.
- USGS Historical Topographic Maps - Online interactive archive of topographic maps from the U.S. Geological Survey.
- World Atlas and Encyclopedia. (Ref 912 R159) New York : Random House Reference, 2007.
SuperPages.com - Search for national business listings in these online yellow pages.
White Pages - Search by name, and narrow by state or address. You can also search by phone number or business name. Neighbors names are listed as well.
ZIP Code Lookup and Address Information - Put in an address and get the ZIP code. Put in a ZIP code and get the city. From the US Postal Service.
Sometimes you live far from Moraga, or just want to look at another library catalog...
Guide to Bay Area Libraries: A wiki with information on public and special libraries available for SMC students.
WorldCat is the world's largest network of library content and services. The WorldCat.org...
A combined catalog of libraries in the state of California. Includes books, videos, audio, maps,...