Books & Videos
Search Albert to find books, movies, etc..
- The immortal life of Henrietta Lacks / Rebecca Skloot. New York : Broadway, c2011 (Best Sellers) New York : Crown Publishers, c2010. (2nd Floor Stack and other locations, 616.0277 Sk45)
Henrietta Lacks and the HeLa Cells
- Abumrad, J., & Krulwich, R. (Hosts). (2010). Henrietta’s Tumor [radio segment]. In J. Abumrad (Producer), Radiolab. New York: WNYC.
- Salisbury, K. (2009, September 23). HeLa cells dividing over 27hrs cells round up grow hair then divide [YouTube].
- Cancer Cell Research [streaming video] : The Way of All Flesh / CTE (Carlton) Limited. New York, N.Y. : Films Media Group, , c1997
- Medical apartheid : the dark history of medical experimentation on Black Americans from colonial times. / Washington, Harriet A. New York : Doubleday, c2006. (Book Stacks: 2nd floor, 174.28 W273)
- Japan's wartime medical atrocities [ebook] : comparative inquiries in science, history, and ethics / edited by Jing-Bao Nie ... [et al.] London ; New York, NY : Routledge, 2010
- Contested medicine [ebook] : cancer research and the military / Gerald Kutcher. Chicago : University of Chicago Press, 2009
- Examining Tuskegee [ebook] : the infamous syphilis study and its legacy / Susan M. Reverby. Chapel Hill : University of North Carolina Press, c2009
- Dark medicine [ebook] : rationalizing unethical medical research / edited by William R. LaFleur, Gernot Böhme, and Susumu Shimazono. Bloomington : Indiana University Press, c2007
- Unequal treatment : confronting racial and ethnic disparities in health care / Brian D. Smedley, Adrienne Y. Stith, and Alan R. Nelson, editors ; Washington, D.C. : National Academy Press, c2003 (2nd floor 362.1 Sm32) [Also ebook].
- Black and blue [ebook] : the origins and consequences of medical racism / John Hoberman. Berkeley : University of California Press, c2012
- Reproducing race : an ethnography of pregnancy as a site of racialization / Khiara M. Bridges. Berkeley : University of California Press, c2011. (2nd floor 362.1982 B764) [Also ebook].
- Uncertain suffering : racial health care disparities and sickle cell disease / Carolyn Moxley Rouse. Berkeley : University of California Press, c2009. (2nd floor 616.1527 R762) [Also ebook].
- Race, ethnicity, and health [ebook] : a public health reader / Thomas A. LaVeist, Lydia A. Isaac ; editors. San Francisco : Jossey-Bass, 2012, c2013.
- Dying in the city of the blues : sickle cell anemia and the politics of race and health / Keith Wailoo. Chapel Hill : University of North Carolina Press, 2001. (2nd floor 616.1527 W133)
- Health disparities in the United States : social class, race, ethnicity, and health / Donald A. Barr. Baltimore : Johns Hopkins University Press, 2008. (2nd floor 362.1 B270)
- Who owns you? : the corporate gold-rush to patent your genes / David Koepsell. Chichester, West Sussex, U.K. ; Malden, MA : Wiley-Blackwell, 2009. (2nd floor 346.0486 K819) [Also ebook].
- Body corporate [streaming video] : who owns your genes? New York, NY : Filmakers Library, 2011
- Property rights in blood, genes & data [ebook] : naturally yours? / Jasper A. Bovenberg. Leiden ; Boston : Martinus Nijhoff Publishers, c2006
Reference Handbooks and Encyclopedias
- Medical Racism) (Health Care Gap); Encyclopedia of Science, Technology, and Ethics (Human Subjects Research); International Encyclopedia of the Social Sciences (Experiments, Human)
- DNA Fingerprinting of Stem Cells)
Handbooks and Encyclopedias
- Encyclopedia of human biology / edited by Renato Dulbecco. San Diego : Academic Press, c1997. (Ref 612 D886a) (Topic Overview: HeLa)
Discover articles and books from many of our databases.
Early Reports of HeLa Cells & Henrietta Lacks
- Rogers, M. (1976, March 25). The double-edged helix: In the delicate realm of biomedical research, those virorous cervical cells from Baltimore are creating confusion and, possible disaster. Rolling Stone. (3rd floor 1984-2009 on microfilm)
- Culliton, B. J. (1974, June 21). HeLa (for Henrietta Lacks). Science, 184, 1268.
- Blood ties: Scientists should give donors more information about how their biospecimens are used. [Editorial]. (2013). Nature, 500, 121.
- Grant, B. (2013, August 7). Q&A: NIH Brokers HeLa Genome Deal Officials at the government agency hammer out an agreement with the Lacks family to provide restricted access to genomes of their relative’s unwittingly donated cells. The Scientist.
- Callaway, E. (2013). Deal done over HeLa cell line: Family of Henrietta Lacks agrees to release of genomic data. Nature, 500, 132-133. doi:10.1038/500132a
- Skloot, Rebecca. (2013, March 23). The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks, the Sequel. New York Times, p. SR4.
- The legacy of Henrietta Lacks. [Editorial]. (2013, August 19). Washington Post, p. A18.
Scientific Use of HeLa Cells
- Landry, J. J. M., Pyl, P. T., Rausch, T., et al. (2013). The genomic and transcriptomic landscape of a HeLa cell line. G3: Genes, Genomes, Genetics, 3(8), 1213-1224. doi:10.1534/g3.113.005777
- Adey, A., Burton, J. N., Kitzman, J. O., et al. (2013). The haplotype-resolved genome and epigenome of the aneuploid HeLa cancer cell line. Nature, 500, 207-211. doi:10.1038/nature12064
- Puck, T. T., Marcus, P. I., & Cieciura, S. J. (1956). Clonal growth of mammalian cells in vitro; growth characteristics of colonies from single HeLa cells with and without a feeder layer. The Journal Of Experimental Medicine, 103(2), 273-83.
Times Cited: Over 1,000
- Radloff, R., Bauer, W., & Vinograd, J. A. (1967). A dye-buoyant-density method for detection and isolation of closed circular duplex DNA: The closed circular DNA in HeLa cells. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, 57(5), 1514-1521. doi: 10.1073/pnas.57.5.1514
Times Cited: Over 1,000