"Sport Management includes any combination of skills related to planning, organizing, directing, controlling, budgeting, leading, and evaluating within the context of an organization or department whose primary product or service is related to sport and/or physical activity. "
DeSensi, J. T., Kelley, D.R., Blanton, M.D., & Beitel, P.A. (1990). Sport management curricular evaluation and needs assessment: a multifaceted approach. Journal of Sport Management, 4(1), 31-58.
Books are a great way to get started with research. You can find all of print books, e-books, and videos by search our online catalog for specific keywords:
Search Albert to find books, movies, etc..
You can also search the full-text of the over 80,000 e-books:
Reference books (encyclopedias and handbooks) are another great way to get started on a new topic. You can find all reference material by search Albert, and limiting to “Reference Sources” in the pull down menu. Listed below are just a few helpful resources:
- Routledge Handbook of Sports Development. (Ref 796.069 H815) New York: Routledge, 2011.
- Encyclopedia of Sports Management and Marketing. (electronic) Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage, c2011.
- The Handbook of College Athletics and Recreation Administration. (Ref 796.0192 M132) San Francisco, Jossey-Bass, c2012.
Discover articles and books from many of our databases.
Sports Management and Law
Search journals, magazines, or newspapers by title, ISSN, or abbreviation
Some select Sport nd Recreation Management periodicals:
Browse the Periodicals List by subject:
Social Sciences - Recreation and Sports
Saint Mary's College Library owns more than 200 periodicals in the various Kinesiology fields
The citation style for work completed in the Department of Kinesiology is APA.
Law reviews would follow the format for journal articles.
For legal citations, APA has adapted the Bluebook rule 10. The general format for citing cases is:
- Party names
- Court reporter information OR the LEXIS number if it was unreported
- The Court that heard the case (no need for this if it was decided by the Supreme Court)
- Year the decision was issued
The following was taken from a document in Lexis - Nexis.
The citation would simply be:
Palmer v Kansas City Chiefs Football Club, 621 S.W.2d 350 (Mo. Ct. App 1981).
Palmer vs Kansas City Chiefs, reported in the 621 volume of the South Western Reporter Second edition. The case was decided by the Missouri Court of Appeals in 1981.