Mary Volmer was raised in Grass Valley, California and lives in the San Francisco Bay Area. She was the recipient of a Rotary Ambassadorial Scholarship to the University of Wales, and a Chester Aaron and an Agnes Butler Scholarship in creative writing at Saint Mary’s College, California. She is a professor and the founding Director of the Saint Mary’s College Honors Program. Her non-fiction has appeared in Full Court Press, Women’s Basketball Magazine and NPR’s “This I Believe” series. Her short fiction has appeared most recently in the Farallon Review. CROWN OF DUST, her first novel, was published in 2010. She is currently completeing her second novel.
- Mary's most recent novel "Reliance, Illinois" will be available for purchase August 18th
- Mary will be reading an excerpt from her latest novel Reliance, Illinois at the Yuba Lit Community Reading Series on July 14th.
- Mary's essay, A Traveler’s Approach to Crafting Historical Fiction was recently posted in the Fiction Writers Review.
- Mary is part of teaching a Writers Workshop to help writers improve and explore their creativity. Deadline to participate in this workshop is on April 12, 2016.
- Mary Volmer's A Short History of My Breasts was recently published in Mutha Magazine. An ode to breasts and the judgments they face, A Short History of My Breasts is a refreshingly real look at motherhood from the perspective of a new mother engaged in a new relationship with the girls. Please read the article here.
- Mary Volmer will be reading on January 19 in San Francisco for the Farallon Review issue 6 launch reading and Edgar Allan Poe birthday celebration! Readings by Mary Volmer, Lynka Adams, Elena Mauli Shapiro, Joey Garcia. Farallon Review # 6 for sale. Cocktails and comradery. When: 6 to 8 pm. Where: the Lone Palm cocktail lounge, 3394 22nd Street, San Francisco (Mission District).
- Mary's 2011 novel Crown of Dust recently received a 5 out 5 from The Book Adventures, where they called it an "outstanding adventure"! Read the review in its entirety here.
- Mary's essay "Mary Volmer Says 'WE' are not pregnant," was published in MUTHA Magazine