See below for a list of supporting faculty members within the Performing Arts Department.
As an active concert pianist, I am especially passionate about contemporary music and piano transcriptions. I study and perform great works by great minds of the past and present, such as Beethoven, Bach, and Rzewski. I particularly focus on premiere works and those pieces that are seldom-performed, such as Beethoven piano sonata Op. 106 (the Hammerklavier).
- Contemporary music The great musicians of the past and present always performed the works of their contemporaries. I follow this tradition. Contemporary music pushes the limits of what can be done in terms of technique, sound color, rhythm, and more. These composers and their works prevent us from being complacent and closed-minded. They offer new ways of hearing things. I believe that we must give them a chance. Imagine, had we not given Palestrina, Bach, Beethoven, Stravinsky, and Debussy their chances, we would only still be singing Gregorian chant today.
- Piano transcriptions The enormous challenges of piano transcriptions fascinate me. These challenges refine and transform my musicianship, technique, and teaching methods. They are great masterpieces of innovation, compositional technique, and imagination.
- Science and Spirituality
Einstein and Eckhart Tolle, The Elegant Universe and Spiritual Cinema
- Favorite Quotes
- Bach gave us God's Word. Mozart gave us God's laughter. Beethoven gave us God's fire. God gave us Music that we might pray without words. - quote outside an German opera house
- The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and science. - Einstein
- Contemporary Compositions
- Piano Transcriptions
- Solo Piano Repertoire
- Chamber Music
- Classical Symphonic Works
- Piano Accompaniment
- Music History