The deadline for receipt of all materials listed below is January 31, 2015 for admission in the fall of 2015.
Your application to the MFA Program consists of the following:
- The completed online application.
- A manuscript of your work in each genre you are applying: no more than 10 pages of poetry or 10-15 pages of creative nonfiction or fiction (fiction and creative nonfiction writing samples should be double-spaced. All writing samples should be in 12-point font.) Acceptable formats include .doc, .docx, or PDF.
If you are applying to more than one genre you must submit a manuscript in each genre and clearly indicate on the manuscript itself which genre it pertains to.
- Your Personal Statement should be at least two (2) but no more than five (5) double-spaced typewritten pages. In it, you should describe in detail your background and current interests as a writer, as well as your ability and commitment to undertake graduate education at this time. If you’re applying to two genres, please address your abilities and experiences with regard to both.
- A minimum of two (2) but no more than three (3) letters of recommendation from people who are familiar with you and your work. For instructions on how to add a recommender please refer to the “Recommendations” section of the online application.
- One copy of official transcripts from the colleges you have previously attended, with proof of a Bachelor’s degree from your degree-granting college. (Please note on your application if the name on your transcript is different from your current name.)
Official transcripts should be received by the January 31 deadline and snail mailed to:
MFA Program in Creative Writing
Saint Mary’s College
ATTN: Application Materials
P.O. Box 4686
Moraga, CA 94575-4686
- If you would like to be considered for a Teaching Fellowship, please write a brief essay of no more than three (3) double-spaced, typewritten pages in which you outline any previous teaching experience or other relevant employment experience (for example, have you ever been employed as an editor or a writing tutor?), as well as your interest in and reasons for applying for the fellowship.
Please also have one of your references address your teaching or tutoring experience in your letter of recommendation.
- A $50 application fee must accompany the online application. Make checks payable to Saint Mary’s College or pay by credit card via the online application.
- Please note that the MFA Program does not require applicants to submit Graduate Records Examination (GRE) scores.
SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS FOR INTERNATIONAL APPLICANTS
In addition to the online application requirements, please snail mail or scan and email the following in hard copy to the address above:
1. A copy of your English language test scores
Acceptable tests and minimum scores: TOEFL (min. score = 6) or IELTS (min. score = 6) or Michigan Test (min. score =77%) score
2. A copy of your passport
3. A copy of your bank statement or bank affidavit
4. A copy of Certification of Finances (attached at the bottom of this page)
The deadline for receipt of all materials is January 31, 2015 for admission in the fall of 2015.
If you have any questions about the program or application process, please contact Coordinator of Admissions and Student Services, at 925-631-4762 or email@example.com.