Lasallian Service Internship (LSI)
The application process for January Term 2017 is now closed. Applications were due by 11:59pm on Tuesday, September 13. For information about January Term 2018, please check back in the spring of 2017.
Read more about the LSIcourse's themes and readings below, more about the selection criteria/site placement process, details of the class including course requirements, check out the Jan Term 2017 sites, or view our LSI 2016 blog.
The LSI course focuses on three themes and questions around those themes:
What am I called to do in this life, and what role does my faith or non-faith tradition play?
What do I ultimately hope for, trust in, and love? (Question borrowed from Professor M. JoDavid Sales, PhD)
How can faith shape how people respond to the needs of others?
What does it mean to be "in community" with each other?
How is a community different from, and more than, a group of friends?
How can we best be an inclusive community, celebrating our various gifts and shouldering each other's burdens?
What does it mean to serve others?
How does serving differ from "helping" or "fixing?"
What does it look like to be in solidarity with the poor?
Based on these themes, the readings will likely include:
- Boyle, Gregory (2010) Tattoos on the Heart: The Power of Boundless Compassion
- Casselberry, Shawn (2104) God is in the City
- Chödrön, Pema (2001) Start Where You Are: A Guide to Compassionate Living
- Ellsberg, Robert (ed.) (2008) Modern Spiritual Masters: Writings on Contemplation & Compassion
- General Counsel, Brothers of the Christian Schools (2010) Circular 461: Associated for Mission… an Act of Hope
- Gittins, Anthony J. (1989) Gifts and Strangers: Meeting the Challenge of Inculturation
- “Helping, Fixing, or Serving?” (Article, 1999) Rachel Naomi Remen
- Lamott, Anne (2012) Help, Thanks, Wow: The Three Essential Prayers
- Mother Teresa (1989) No Greater Love
- Palmer, Parker J. (2000) Let Your Life Speak
- Rolheiser, Ronald (1999) The Holy Longing: The Search for a Christian Spirituality
- Salm, Luke (1996) The Work is Yours: The Life of Saint John Baptist de La Salle
- Schmidt, Joseph F. (1980) Praying Our Experiences
- Vanier, Jean (1989) Community and Growth
Please contact Carrie Davis in the Mission and Ministry Center for more information about the Lasallian Service Internship Jan Term Course. She can be contacted by phone at 925-631-4982 or by email at [email protected].