All students must demonstrate an intermediate level of foreign language proficiency.
The language requirement may be fulfilled in one of the following ways:
- Successfully completing level 003 of French, German, Italian, Japanese, or Spanish at Saint Mary's College, or by transferring the equivalent course from another college-level institution.
- Completing 3 years of the same language in high school with a GPA of 3.0 (B) or higher.
- Scoring at least a 3 on the College Board's Advanced Placement (AP) Language Exam.
- Achieving a TOEFL score of 527 on the paper-based test or 71 on the internet-based test (for International students who are non-native speakers of English).
- Students may also demonstrate proficiency in a language other than English by arranging a proficiency interview and exam directly with the Placement and Proficiency Coordinator, Dr. Maria Luisa Ruiz, at [email protected].
The Department of Modern Languages does not accept online courses as substitutions for our lower division language courses.