All courses incorporate the California Standards for the Teaching Profession and the Teacher Performance Expectations adopted by the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing.
Specific learning outcomes include the following:
- Teach the state-adopted academic content standards for their respective subjects;
- Use progress monitoring to determine whether students are progressing adequately;
- Understand and use informal, formal, formative and summative assessments;
- Incorporate specific strategies, instructional activities, procedures and experiences that address state-adopted academic content standards;
- Clearly communicate instructional objectives to students;
- Use developmentally appropriate teaching practices;
- Understand and apply pedagogical theories, principles, and instructional practices for comprehensive instruction of English learners;
- Understand patterns of child and adolescent development;
- Plan instruction that is comprehensive in relation to the subject matter and in accordance with state-adopted academic content standards;
- Maximize student achievement;
- Develop and maintain clear expectations for academic and social behavior;
- Take responsibility for student learning outcomes; and
- Evaluate their own teaching practices and subject matter knowledge.