You’ve worked hard and achieved the dream of being in the first generation of your family to attend college. The High Potential Program will give you the tools and support you need to translate that hard work into continued success.
Since 1973, the High Potential (HP) program at Saint Mary’s College has welcomed first-generation to college students into higher education.The HP family is large and welcoming of all students who are dedicated to earning a baccalaureate degree.
Why choose the Saint Mary's High Potential Program:
- Summer Bridge Program - An intensive two-week residential experience that will give you a taste of college life BEFORE you start your fall semester. Sample college-level offerings in English, Personal and Academic Development, and Saint Mary's acclaimed Seminar program. (Summer Bridge is usually the late July/early August).
- First-Year Advising Cohort - Work with your faculty advisor and HP personal academic advisor as you transition into higher education. Get support and learn about time management, study skills, and campus resources to help you succeed.
- Critical Thinking and Research Class - Work with a faculty member on a research project that impacts first-generation college students.
- Peer Mentor Program - Meet with upper-division student mentors who will offer academic and social support beginning in the Summer Bridge Program and throughout your first year at Saint Mary's.
- Monthly Advising Meetings with the High Potential Program Staff - We'll help you stay on track to reach your goals!
- Earn a total of 1.5 additional credits toward graduation - .5 credits for the Summer Bridge Program; .25 credits for fall HP First Year Advising Cohort; .25 for spring HP First Year Advising Cohort; and .5 credits for Critical Thinking and Research (.25 per semeser in your sophomore year).
For information about the High Potential program please contact:
Tracy Pascua Dea
Director of Student Academic Support Services
Senior Admissions Counselor
Coordinator of Multicultural Recruitment
- Academic Advising & Achievement
- Counseling Center
- Financial Aid
- Intercultural Center
- Undergraduate Admissions