“There are no foreign lands. It is the traveler only who is foreign.” – Robert Louis Stevenson
Travel Course Online Registration Guidelines
Online registration for travel courses is September 26th & 27th.
NOTE: ONLINE REGISTRATION IS "FIRST COME, FIRST SERVE" WITH DEPOSIT CLEARANCE FROM THE BUSINESS OFFICE AND INSTRUCTOR'S PERMISSION ON FILE IN THE REGISTRAR'S OFFICE.
Seniors (27+ credits completed): September 26th, 6:00-8:00am
Juniors (18-26.99 credits completed): September 26th, 4:00-5:00pm
Sophomores (9-17.99 credits completed): September 27th, 6:00-8:00am
Freshmen* (less than 9 credits completed): September 27th, 4:00-5:00pm
Graduate Students may register after freshmen.
*Freshmen are only eligible for travel within the United States.
IMPORTANT DETAILS ABOUT THE REGISTRATION PROCESS:
- All travel courses require instructor signature(s) as a prerequisite to submitting online registration, and attendance at a pre-registration informational meeting for any travel course is mandatory in order to collect instructor signature(s).
- ONLINE REGISTRATION IS "FIRST COME, FIRST SERVE."
- Jan Term travel courses are designed for currently enrolled students as a graduation requirement, and are NOT allowed for students on a “not for credit” basis.
- If you plan to apply for a Jan Term scholarship to travel, you need to go to the Financial Aid Office as soon as possible to file a FAFSA form.
- If you intend to use financial aid to help fund your travel expenses, you must go to Financial Aid Office IMMEDIATELY to apply for additional funds. Travel fees must be paid by Friday, November 8th, 2013 (this date is prior to spring financial aid disbursement). All deposits must be paid in order to register; no credits for anticipated aid will be given.
- In order to submit online registration, you must first make a 50% deposit of the cost of your course at the Business Office. You may do this beginning September 19th, 2013. Do not wait until the day you register. The Business Office will give you a receipt, which you must submit to the Registrar along with your signed instructor permission sheet.
- The second half of your deposit is due in full on Friday, November 8th. (Of course, you may pay in full at any time prior to this date.) There will be no extensions, and no exceptions.
- A hold will be placed on accounts with deposits still due after the November 8th deadline and you will be in danger of losing your spot in the travel course, as well as impacting your ability to register for the Spring term.
Special Requirements for Travel Courses
Students must be in good academic and disciplinary standing at the time of registration to participate in a January Term travel course. This screening will take place the week after travel class registration. A deposit of 50% of the course fee must be paid to the Business Office in order to enter the registration lottery. Students deemed ineligible through the screening process will have their deposits refunded.
- All travel courses have pre-registration informational meetings announced in this catalog and on posters around campus. Almost all travel courses require attendance at these meetings and the instructor's signature prior to registration.
- Almost all travel courses will have at least two meetings after registration. Most of these meeting times are already scheduled in the catalog. Attendance at these meetings is mandatory.
- Visiting students from colleges other than Saint Mary’s may be exempted from the requirement of attending mandatory meetings with the permission of the instructor and the Director of the January Term.
- Pass/Fail grading is not an option for any travel course.
- Freshmen are not eligible for international travel courses.
- If a course you are interested in is an international travel course and you do not have a passport, begin the passport process as soon as you are enrolled in the class. If you are not a U.S. citizen, you may also need an additional travel Visa. If you have a passport, it must be valid through April of 2014.
- You are required to complete payment by Friday, November 8th.
- In addition, you also need to turn in your completed travel packet to your instructor by Friday, November 8th. Airline tickets will not be released to the student until you have both paid in full and turned in your travel packet. Noncompliance by a student on these matters will result in dismissal from the course.
- It is Jan Term’s policy that frequent flyer miles are not allowed, nor are travel date changes.