This degree is built upon a preliminary teaching credential (Multiple Subject, Single Subject, or Education Specialist) completed at Saint Mary's College. (Currently not receiving applications for this program.)
It includes 29 units (17 of which are required for the Reading Certificate) in addition to the SMC preliminary teaching credential.
Specialization Courses (20 units)
Reading Certificate Courses (17 units, can be completed in 1 year)
- READ 325 - Early Literacy: Assessment and Instruction Clinic, 4 units
- READ 255 - Diagnostic Teaching, 3 units
- READ 257 - Building Literacy with Multicultural Literature, 3 units
- READ 254 - Content Area Reading, 3 units
- READ 326 - Later Literacy: Assessment and Instruction Clinic, 4 units
- READ 223 - Balanced Reading Theory, 3 units
Research Courses (9 units)
- EDUC 572 - Research Seminar I , 3 units
- EDUC 583 – Resaerch Seminar II (Prerequisites: A passing grade on the Writing Proficiency Exam, EDUC 572), 3 units
- EDUC 592 - Thesis (Prerequisite: EDUC 583), 3 units
Note: Passage of EDUC 572 (Research Seminar I) with a B or better and passing the Writing Proficiency Exam (WPE) are required for unconditional acceptance to this graduate degree program and are prerequisites to EDUC 582 (Research Seminar II). Therefore, all master's degree students are advised to take the WPE in the first semester of their graduate coursework.