The dance program at Saint Mary’s College offers scholarships to incoming freshmen. Dance scholarships are merit-based for demonstrated artistic excellence.
The audition will consist of three parts: a modern dance technique class, a short solo, and an interview.
- You will need to arrive to the studio ready to dance.
- We do not have a dress code, although no baggy clothing preferred.
- You will be dancing barefoot on a vinyl Stage Step floor (you may wear socks, half soles, etc, if you find it too sticky).
- We look for the dancer with a passion to move; do not worry if you have never had a modern dance class. The dance program values diversity.
- Choreograph a 1.5-2 minute solo to music with no lyrics.
- The solo can be in any style and should represent both your dancing and choreographic abilities.
- The studio has a CD player and is iPod compatible. Bring your own music.
- Costumes are not required.
- All applicants will be interviewed by the Performing Arts Department.
To maintain scholarship eligibility you must:
- Major or minor in dance;
- Be a full time student;
- Pass all classes;
- Enroll in one dance company class per semester;
- Audition for at least one guest artist piece per year;
- Perform in the annual spring dance concert (if injury prevents performance, then the student will be assigned a backstage position); and
- Serve the department as a model citizen.
Apply for an audition here.
For further information or to schedule an audition contact Director Cathy Davalos, (925) 631-4824, or email, firstname.lastname@example.org.