The dance program at Saint Mary’s College offers scholarships to incoming freshmen. Dance scholarships are merit-based for demonstrated artistic excellence.
The audition will consist of three parts: a modern dance technique class, a short solo, and an interview.
- You will need to arrive to the studio ready to dance.
- We do not have a dress code, although no baggy clothing preferred.
- You will be dancing barefoot on a vinyl Stage Step floor (you may wear socks, half soles, etc, if you find it too sticky).
- We look for the dancer with a passion to move; do not worry if you have never had a modern dance class. The dance program values diversity.
- Choreograph a 1.5-2 minute solo to music with no lyrics.
- The solo can be in any style and should represent both your dancing and choreographic abilities.
- The studio has a CD player and is iPod compatible. Bring your own music.
- Costumes are not required.
- All applicants will be interviewed by the Performing Arts Department.
To maintain scholarship eligibility you must:
- Major or minor in dance;
- be a full time student;
- remain in good academic standing with a minimum GPA of 2.7 (B-);
- enroll in Dance Company movement classes five days a week and lecture courses required of the major or minor each semester;
- audition for at least one piece per semester with the Saint Mary's College Dance Company; if not chosen, serve on the concert technical crew;
- serve the department as a model citizen;
- place the Saint Mary's College Dance Company as your first priority when performing for other campus groups.
Apply for an audition here.
For further information or to schedule an audition contact Director Cathy Davalos, (925) 631-4824, or email, email@example.com.