View the brand new TFT Brochure now!
Teachers for Tomorrow (TFT)
In California, aspiring elementary and middle school teachers must pass the California Subject Examinations for Teachers (CSET). Because of the breadth and depth of its coursework, the JCL Program provides strong support for students who plan to take these examinations.
A special 5-year program has been designed for freshman students who are committed to becoming elementary/middle school teachers and who are interested in a cohort program that provides coursework in education and experiences in elementary schools along with their JCL courses. Students graduate at the end of 4 years and complete their preliminary Multiple Subject credential and a Master of Arts in Education degree during their 5th year at Saint Mary's.
- Integrated Curriculum: teacher preparation courses taught along with liberal arts courses;
- Early field experiences in elementary schools;
- Opportunity to take the program as a "cohort group" with the same advisors and the same in-school experiences;
- Completion of the bachelor's degree after four years; and
- By the end of the 5th year: Completion of the Multiple Subject (elementary), Special Education or Montessori Teaching Credential and completion of optional Master of Arts in Education degree (with three additional courses).
- Admission to SMC as a Freshman or Sophomore with a strong academic background;
- A commitment to becoming an elementary teacher.
Students interested in Teachers for Tomorrow should contact Tamara Spencer, [email protected]
Please note that the successful completion of three years of a foreign language study in high school is preferred.
For further information, please contact:
TFT Program Director
JCL Academic Adviser