The M.A. in Kinesiology program is a 14-month course of study featuring three distinct concentrations: Sport Studies, Sport Management, and Fitness Management.
The Master of Arts in Kinesiology program at Saint Mary's College focuses on the study of human beings engaged in physical activity. It is designed to ensure that graduate students are exposed to the breadth and depth of classical and contemporary knowledge in the component areas of the field while taking advantage of the finest things about Saint Mary's College:
- An interest in the student as a person;
- An emphasis on shared inquiry and critical thinking;
- Small seminar-style classes;
- Highly interactive, expert faculty members; and
- A respect for new and different ways of learning.
The curriculum is designed to enable students to select the concentration that fits best with their professional goals:
- Sport Studies for teachers and coaches;
- Sport Management for those interested in managing sport organizations primarily within educational settings; and
- Fitness Management for those wishing to manage fitness and wellness programs in schools and private organizations.
Most students come to the program with undergraduate degrees or practical work experience in Kinesiology or related academic areas, but many others have degrees from a variety of diverse fields including sociology, environmental science, communications, history and English. They are united by their passion for teaching, coaching, or working in fitness and sport. Most are from the San Francisco Bay Area, though our flexible curriculum allows some to travel here from distant areas.
Please join us for an information session to learn more about how our program can help you fulfill your professional goals. You may also use the links below to find additional information about our program and admissions procedures or fill out our Information Request Form and a representative from the program will contact you directly.