The following courses are required for students pursuing an Chemistry Degree.
The student with an interest in chemistry can purse one of two options in chemistry or pursue a biochemistry major (see biochemistry major for requirements), which integrates material form the fields of chemistry and biology. The department offers the standard chemistry major with an environmental concentration.
Suggested Chemistry Major Program
A suggested four-year program of study for a major in chemistry is available from any Chemistry Department member. Note that all freshmen are required to complete two Collegiate Seminars in the first year, one each in the fall and spring terms. Two additional Collegiate Seminars must be complete before graduation, and other college requirements are specified in the Program of Study.
The following lower-and upper-division courses are required for the two majors in chemistry:
- Chemistry 8, 9 (lab), 10, 11 (lab), 89; and
- Mathematics 27, 38.
- Chemistry 104, 106, 114, 115, and 130.
Standard Chemistry Major
- Mathematics 39; and
- Physics 1, 2 (lab), 3, 4 (lab).
- Chemistry 108, 110, 111 or 119, 118, 197 or 199.
Chemistry Major - Environmental Concentration
- Physics 1, 2 (lab), 3, 4 (lab) or Physics 10, 20 (lab), 11, 21 (lab); and
- Biology 1 (with lab), 2 (with lab). The Biochemistry major has very similar requirements (See biochemistry major).
- Chemistry 108 or 118, 119;
- Biology 125, and either Biology 113, 146, or 152; and
- Any one other upper division chemistry course;