There are special requirements for those who wish to enroll in a Jan Term Travel course. What follows are detailed notes on those requirements. Contact Jan Term (firstname.lastname@example.org / x4771) with any questions.
Jan Term Travel course registration is online via GaelXpress.
The registration period is 9/25 - 26:
- Seniors: Thursday 9/25, 6-8am
- Juniors: Thursday, 9/25, 4-5pm
- Sophomores: Friday, 9/26, 6-8am
- Freshmen: Friday, 9/26, 4-5pm
In order to enroll in a Travel course, the following steps are mandatory:
- Attend a Travel course’s pre-registration informational meetings (click here for the info meetings schedule);
- Submit to the instructor an Instructor Permission Form at one of their informational meetings (note: approvals are granted by the instructor based on criteria which may vary among courses);
- Submit signed Instructor Permission Forms for all courses in which you are interested to the Registrar’s Office by Monday, 9/22;
- Pay a deposit of 50% of the course fee (either via GaelXpress or in person) no later than 4:00 PM on Monday, 9/22 AND immediately inform the Business Office (at x4209) that this payment is for a particular Jan Term Travel course.
- AN IMPORTANT NOTE: If you wish to be able to register for another Travel course in case your first choice is full, you must pay the 50% deposit on the most expensive course that you are interested in, in addition to gathering Instructor Permissions for those courses.
SOME NOTES ON FURTHER REQUIREMENTS AND RESPONSIBILITIES OF ENROLLED TRAVEL STUDENTS:
DEPOSITS ARE NON-REFUNDABLE; REFUNDS ONLY BY PETITION
Jan Term Travel deposits are non-refundable once a student is enrolled in a Jan Term Travel course, and students are responsible for the full cost of the course once they are enrolled. In other words: once enrolled, a student is obliged to pay the full course fee and may not drop the course without losing the full course fee.
However, if a student withdraws from a Travel course due to an emergency, the student may petition for a partial refund. Petitions must be done in writing and submitted to the Business Office. Refund petitions under these circumstances will be considered only after all expenses related to the course have been paid (i.e., in February 2015).
ZERO BALANCE REQUIRED
Students must have a zero balance in their student account, or have enough pending financial aid for Fall to cover any current balance, in order to deposit for Jan Term Travel courses.
All course fee balances must be paid in full by November 7th. No exceptions.
FINANCIAL AID INFORMATION
If you intend to use financial aid to help fund your Jan Term Travel course fee, go to Financial Aid Office immediately to apply for additional Fall funds. Travel course fees must be paid in full by November 7th. (This date is prior to Spring financial aid disbursement.)
JAN TERM TRAVEL COURSES MUST BE TAKEN FOR CREDIT
Jan Term Travel courses are designed for currently enrolled students as a graduation requirement, and are not allowed for students on a “not for credit” basis.
Pass/Fail is not an option for Travel courses.
Freshmen are eligible to enroll in domestic US Travel courses only.
Students must be in good disciplinary standing in order to participate in a Travel course; screening will take place the week following registration. Ineligible students will be refunded.
PASSPORTS AND VISAS
If you do not have a passport, begin the passport process IMMEDIATELY following enrollment. If you do have a passport, it must be valid through April 2015. If you are a non-US citizen, you may need an additional travel visa.
FALL 2014 OBLIGATIONS FOR 2015 TRAVEL COURSES
Most Travel courses hold mandatory post-registration Fall meetings; make sure you can attend these meetings before enrolling. Ask the instructor if these meetings aren't yet listed in the online catalog.