Directions: Place a T or F beside each statement to indicate if you agree or disagree with the statement.²
- There is no Faculty Handbook requirement regarding the frequency for holding departmental or program meetings as long as meetings are held when needed.
- The chair must ensure that faculty members adhere to the final examination schedule.
- The chair has veto over departmental or program decisions.
- The chair must arrange for visits to adjunct faculty members’ classes but not the classes of lecturers.
- In the departmental R & T letter for a given candidate, there should be a discussion of the class visits made by departmental colleagues, but there is no requirement that class visitation evaluations be included in the candidate’s R & T file.
- For faculty members moving toward tenure, a minimum of one classroom visit per term is expected.
- The chairperson should visit the classes of faculty members who are being reviewed for tenure and promotion.
- For reasons of privacy, the chairperson should not maintain a file for faculty in his or her office.
- The chair is not required to discuss the departmental letter with a candidate before sending it to the R & T committee.
- The chair is guaranteed one course release for serving in an academic administrative role.
If you received a score of ten, you can immediately leave this orientation.
If you received a score of eight to ten, you have great potential as a chair.
If you received a score of seven or less, you should write 100 times: I must carefully read my Faculty Handbook.
*For simplicity sake, the word chair is used in this quiz, but the term is intended to include both chairs and program directors.
²The answers to the quiz are found in the italicized section of the next handout entitled Role of Chair.