Other symptoms may include: sneezing muscle aches, fever, headache and loss of appetite. Influenza (“flu”) is used to describe a particular type of virus that causes more severe illness than the common cold. To prevent influenza, individuals (especially those at a higher risk of getting the virus) may get the flu vaccine each year.
- Eating soup and drinking hot liquids often eases nasal congestion by loosening secretions.
- Drinking plenty of liquids, such as water, tea with honey and juice can help soothe your throat.
- Taking a hot shower or bath may help relieve your congestion and coughing.
- Washing your hands frequently will make you less contagious to your family and friends.
- Get plenty of rest so that you give your body time to recover!