SMC Human Resources
Temporary status employees and persons from temporary agencies are requested by departments through Human Resources for short-term assignments until a new person begins employment, for medical leave relief and occasionally for special projects. In the case of a highly specialized need, Human Resources Human Resources may, with your approval, contact a temporary agency to fill the request.
To request an on-call or temporary service employee:
- Please send a description of duties needed to Vickia Brinkley (email@example.com or x4216) HR Representative, Recruitment . Please be as descriptive as possible when listing required skills as it will aid Human Resources to get the best possible match. Also include the length of time for the assignment, and the work hours schedule. Please do not overstate job description, as this may affect the hourly rate charged to your department.
- Once the description is entered, you will be asked to create an online requisition for approval. Be sure to include information on the length of time services are needed, number of hours per week, start times and end times, available budget, and the salary/g/l code. Once the requisition is approved it will be posted for a minimum of 5 days.
- You will have full access to the temporary candidates to review, interview, and select.
- Prior to making an offer to the candidate, contact S. Jamila Buckner, Director, Faculty and Staff Recruitment & HR Consulation (firstname.lastname@example.org or x4213).
- Once you have confirmation on the hourly rate, you can make a offer to the selected candidate. You willl need to move the candidate to "hired" status in the online recruitment system, so that we can process the background check and begin the process to notify payroll.
- To close out the position, please notify any candidates that were interviewed and not selected and HR will notify those that were not interviewed.
Requesting a temporary from an Agency:
- Requesting Supervisor completes the Temporary Request Form in its entirety and returns it to Human Resources for processing. Please be as descriptive as possible when listing required skills as it will aid Human Resources to get the best possible match. Please do not overstate job description, as this will affect the hourly rate charged to your department. If you have worked with a particular temporary employee and would like to reengage them, Human Resources will attempt to do that for you. Please try to give as much notice as possible so that Human Resources can work on getting your temporary employee by desired start date. Please note, Human Resources cannot guarantee last minute requests.
- Requesting Supervisor must contact the Director of Finance/Controller in the Business Office to determine budget savings calculation & approval of funds for temporary help.
- Human Resources fills the position from an approved temporary service agency. Human Resources notifies the requesting department by phone that the position has been filled and gives the name of the person. A copy of the completed request form is sent back to the department and a copy is sent to the Business Office.
- Human Resources receives the agency invoice and forwards it to the department that requested the temporary employee. The department notes their account number on the bill and promptly returns it to the Business Office for payment.