- by completing 3 years of the same language (modern or classical) in secondary school with a grade point average of 3.0 or higher.
- by scoring at least 3 on the Advanced Placement exam in a foreign language.
- by achieving a TOEFL score of at least 527 (197)(for international students who are non-native speakers of English).
- by achieving an intermediate level score on the Foreign Language Placement exam.
- by successfully completing a third-term modern or classical language course (course 3) or its equivalent at Saint Mary's College or at another post-secondary institution.
Courses taken to satisfy the language requirement (courses 1,2,3) cannot be applied toward the Area A requirement. Courses 4 and beyond may be so applied.
Students who have taken the AP exam in a foreign language and scored at least 3 receive course credit as follows: a score of 3 gives credit for course 4; a score of 4 gives credit for courses 4 and 10; a score of 5 gives credit for courses 10 and 11.
All entering students who do not meet the requirement by one of the ways cited above should take the Foreign Language Placement exam prior to course scheduling.