See below for a list of supporting faculty members within the Performing Arts Department.
- Ph.D. Theology and Literature, Union Theological Seminary, 1976
- M.A. Literature, University of Tulsa, 1967
- S.T.B. Theology, Gregorian University, 1961
- B.A. Philosophy, Saint Mary's (Houston), 1959
- Teacher - Saint Mary's College, Moraga, California. (1980 - Present)
Religious Studies and Performing Arts Departments. Graduate Liberal Studies Program.
- Teacher - University of Manitoba, Winnipeg, Canada (1972 - 1980)
Religious Studies Department.
- Acting and directing -
# Eureka Theatre, San Francisco: The Abdication # Berkeley Stage Company: Three, Damien, Seascape O'Neill: The Rhythms of His Soul, an original musical revue featuring the songs from the plays of America's most renowned playwright. Damien, one-man play on the life of the leper priest of Molokai. Toured extensively in the Bay Area and other U.S. locations. European performances in Belgium, England and two weeks at the Edinburgh Festival Fringe, 1989. # Berkeley Repertory Company: Margaret Ghost, Execution of Justice # San Jose Repertory Company: Execution of Justice # California Shakespeare Festival: As You Like It, Coriolanus, The Tempest # Walnut Creek Civic Arts Repertory: The Road to Mecca # Willows Theatre, Concord: Love Letters, Lost in Yonkers, Foxfire, My Sister Eileen, Mountain Days # Eugene O'Neill Foundation, Tao House, Danville: New Girl in Town six staged readings of early O'Neill plays.
- Director - Saint Mary's College of California
* She Stoops to Conquer * Our Town * Philadelphia Here I Come! * The Imaginary Invalid * Man of La Mancha * Little Prince * The Crucible * Antigone * Sweet Charity * Rashomon * The Fantasticks
- St. John Baptist De La Salle Teaching Award - Alumni, Saint Mary's College (2003)
- Professor of the Year - Saint Mary's College (1995)
- Frank J. Fillipi Professorship in Performing Arts - (2003)
- Cawthon, Daniel. "Images of Transcendence in the Plays of Brian Friel," Theatre and Religion. , 2001.
- Cawthon, Daniel. "Reflections on Relating Religion to Theatre," Educational Perspectives. , 1993.
- Cawthon, Daniel. "Eugene O'Neill: Progenitor of a New Religious Drama,"Theatre and Religion. , 1992.
- Cawthon, Daniel. ""GBM Seeks MWF: Six Degrees of Separation," John Guare: A Casebook." Ed. Lawson, Donald New York: London: Garland Press
- Cawthon, Daniel. ""Family Resemblances: Eugene O'Neill and Brian Friel," Eugene O'Neill's Next Century: the Playwright, his Art and his Theatre,." Ed. Connolly, Thomas Farleigh Dickenson Press.