The Reading Certificate Program is for individuals who want to work directly with children and teachers. (Currently not receiving applications for this program.)
The Reading Certificate focuses on 6 areas: comprehension; fluent reading; planning and delivery of instruction based on assessment; intervention strategies; related areas of study such as writing, spelling, and second language acquisition; and a strong core of field experiences. The Reading Certificate can be completed in 1 year. All courses are offered in the late afternoons and evenings. Course sequence will be determined during conferences with the program director. For further details, see Student Credential Handbook for the Specialist Credential in Reading and Language Arts & the Reading Certificate.
- A basic teaching credential.
- 3 years of successful classroom teaching experience (which may be earned concurrently).
- Completion of a CLAD certificate or equivalent
Required Courses (17 units)
- READ 325 - Early Literacy: Assessment and Instruction Clinic, 4 units
- READ 255 - Diagnostic Teaching, 3 units
- READ 257 - Building Literacy with Multicultural Literature, 3 units
- READ 254 - Content Area Reading, 3 units
- READ 326 - Later Literacy: Assessment and Instruction Clinic, 4 units