In a hard-fought, first-round NCAA Tournament game, the Saint Mary's Gaels fell to the Southern Illinois Salukis 65 to 56. Previously trailing by as much as 15 points, the Gaels tied the game 47-47 with only 6 1/2 minutes remaining. Ultimately, though, that momentum was not enough to clinch the game.
It was the fourth NCAA Tournament appearance in school history for the Saint Mary's men's basketball team and the first invitation to the Big Dance since 1997. After a 25-8 season, Saint Mary's was awarded an at-large berth as the No. 10 seed in the Chicago Regional of the NCAA Tournament. The matchup at the Ford Center in Oklahoma City marked the fourth consecutive trip to the tournament for the 7th-seeded Salukis, the regular season champions in the Missouri Valley Conference.
Come Greet the Men's Basketball Team
Come out in your RED and greet our Men's Basketball Team as they arrive back to campus, Saturday, March 19. They had a terrific run and it would be nice to show them our support. The Men's Basketball team will be arriving into Oakland on a chartered flight at noon. They should be back on campus between 12:45 p.m. - 1:00 p.m. Meet in the bus circle in the front of the campus. They made us proud!
Check this page for news coverage. Please note that some sites require registration or have expired.
* Southern Illinois Downs Saint Mary's 65-56 (San Francisco Chronicle)
* St. Mary's Has Come Long Way to Be Here (Los Angeles Times)
* Gaels, Salukis playing the same theme song (San Francisco Chronicle)
* Saint Mary's Falls To Southern Illinois, 65-56, In First Round Of NCAA Tournament (SMCGaels.com)
* Down under? St. Mary's Kickert at top of game (San Franicisco Chronicle)
* Hopes are high for St. Mary's (Contra Costa Times)
* Gaels' Bennett thrives in family business (Inside Bay Area)
* NCAA Is in the Midst of a Foreign Affair (Washingtonpost.com)
* Rowland Takes the Lead: Salinas native is a major reason St. Mary's is dancing with the big boys (The Monterey Herald)
* Salukis prep for Gaels attack (The Southern Illinoisan)
* "Well done, Saint Mary's" (Contra Costa Times Editorial)
* Salukis present dogged challenge (Contra Costa Times)
* Gaels prepare to deal with Salukis' Brooks (San Francisco Chronicle)
* Gael Force: Wood grad, Saint Mary's go dancing (The Reporter.com)
* Which Cinderella team will go furthest in pool? (SignOnSanDiego.com)
* A Little March Gladness: In Moraga, Gaels are 'over the moon' after pick (San Francisco Chronicle)
* Tears and cider flow as Gaels complete turnaround (Contra Costa Times)
* Gaels finally asked to dance (Contra Costa Times)
* Major sign of respect for Gaels: St. Mary's earns No.10 seed and will tangle with Southern Illinois on Friday (Inside Bay Area)
* ESPN.com's Andy Katz on Chicago region (ESPN.com)
* Sportsline.com on Chicago region: You can't hide, Illini (Sportsline.com)
* Bennett Guides Gaels Into The Post-Season (KTVU.com)
* NCAA tourney reality TV at its best (USA Today)
* Hopeful Gaels climb aboard the bubble (San Francisco Chronicle)
* St. Mary's Faces the Anxiety - Of Life on the NCAA Bubble (Wall Street Journal)
* Gaels, Bennett play NCAA waiting game (Contra Costa Times)
* SMC intent on realizing vision (Contra Costa Times)
* Can SMC keep Bennett? (Contra Costa Times)