Announcements, unlike stories or events, are short blurbs. They are timely pieces that usually alert community members.
- Editing Access for Announcements
- All About Announcements - SMC Bulletin Announcements, My Saint Mary's Announcements, Department Announcements
- How to Create an Announcement
- Add a new Announcement
Editing Access for Announcements
To create any item in Salli you must first be a Salli editor. If you need editing privileges please submit a web help request. In the request provide your full name, SMC username and what department you work for. If you are a student please also provide your manager's contact information.
If you are seeing the "We're sorry, but this is a private page" message when you try to add a new announcement it is because you are not a Salli editor. You will need editing access as described above.
All About Announcements
Announcements created in Salli have the option to appear in several different areas, such as:
SMC Bulletin Announcements
- On the Announcements page of the SMC Bulletin area of the site - these are typically aimed at the campus community
- In the weekly Bulletin email - also aimed at the campus community, and are gathered from the SMC Bulletin area announcements page.
- Tag your announcement with "smcbulletin" (without the quotes), see step 3a below for specfics on how to add your announcement to the SMC Bulletin Announcements page.
My Saint Mary's Announcements
- In the Announcements block in the top right of My Saint Mary's - these are targeted to students, faculty and/or staff and are internally focused, often the most timely and targeted towards a very specific audience.
- Tag your announcement with "mysmcstudent", "mysmcstaff" and/or "mysmcfaculty" (without the quotes) for it to automatically appear on the My Saint Mary's page. See step 3a below for tagging instructions. Note: It may take up to 30 minutes before your announcement appears on the My Saint Mary's site after you publish it on Salli.
Department Pages Announcements
An announcement can:
Announcements can be displayed in several ways on a page.
They can be displayed in the left sidebar, body controller area or right sidebar. See examples of displays below:
Create an Announcement
Log in (bottom left corner of any page except the homepage) and click on the "Content Dashboard."
Choose "Add an Announcement".
Fill out the Basic Content you want on the page. The red asterisks indicate required fields you must fill out. If you would like to include "Contact" information for the Announcement, fill that out after the "Body" information.
Step 3a - Add your Announcement to the SMC Bulletin Area Announcements Page or the My Saint Mary's portal page.
To add your announcement to the SMC Bulletin website, enter "smcbulletin" (without the quotes) in the Tags field. To add your announcement to the My Saint Mary's Portal page tag your announcement with "mysmcstudent", "mysmcstaff" and/or "mysmcfaculty" (without the quotes) for it to automatically appear on the My Saint Mary's page (note: It may take up to 30 minutes before your announcement appears on the My Saint Mary's site). All tags must be separated by a comma.
For all types of announcements you also have to complete step 4 below.
Step 4 & 5
Choose a "Groups Audience" for the specific departments that you want to see your Announcement. If you are adding your announcement to the SMC Bulletin page you must select a group audience (any group audience). To select more than one group audience hold down the control (ctrl) key or command key on a Mac while clicking on your selections.
Choose whether or not you would like the Announcement to be private in step 5.
Step 6 (Optional)
Once you have finished entering your "Basic Content," you can select the "Layout" tab at the top of the page to add or remove items from your right sidebar.
Click the "Save" button in the top right hand corner once you have finished.
You can now view your new Announcement. Congrats!
Add a New Announcement
Now that you have read through the announcement tutorial above you are now ready to add your own announcement.
You can always add a new announcement from the Content Dashboard or you can go directly to the Add an Announcement page.
If you are seeing the "We're sorry, but this is a private page" message when you try to add a new announcement it is because you are not a Salli editor. You will need to request editing access by submitting a web help request.