Spring 2014 Update
- New Books. Scrolling on the left sidebar are the newest additions to the Library's Collection in science, mathematics and psychology.
- Streaming Video. Academic Video Online (VAST) from Alexander Street Press and Films on Demand feature science, math and psychology videos, many recently added.
- The full online back file of Science magazine (aka Science Classic/ Archive) was purchased. We now have a full online run of Science
- While not a science resource per se, we also began a subscription to Access World News, the comprehensive newspaper database from Newsbank. This includes access to articles from San Francisco Chronicle, San Jose Mercury News, Sacramento Bee, and many hundreds of other titles not available through our Lexis/Nexis subscription.
- Librarian Subject Selector changes:
Sarah Vital is the new Business Librarian, reluctantly relinquishing her Mathematics and Computer Science responsibilities to Linda Wobbe. Linda now shares responsibility for School of Science with Patty Wade, who is the Psychology Subject Selector. Contact Linda or Patty for library collection requests or information literacy instruction.
- HeLa, Henrietta Lacks, and Medical Ethics.
The Saint Mary's College Library has launched an online guide to resources that help students explore concepts from the First Year Experience Common Reading, The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot. Librarians Gina Lee, Patty Wade, and Linda Wobbe have compiled links to Library resources, including books, encyclopedia entries, articles, and videos. Explore the history of human experimentation in medicine, issues in race and health, including discrimination in health care, and whether genes can be patented. Current articles highlighting the 2013 agreement with the Lacks family are included.